Dictation deleting first word that I say???

Reaction score
Really annoying flaw in an otherwise really great and time-saving process. Doesn't seem to happen on my iPhone, only my newly purchased MacBook Pro 13 inch.

Basically it get everything I say, often except for the first word-it just randomly deletes it. It's not even like it doesn't manage to capture it, because I see it typing the word, it's just once I finished talking it some how decides to Edit what I've said and delete just the first word, otherwise it's very accurate and works well, it's just Half the time I would've saved by dictating rather than manually writing is offset due to the fact I'm constantly having to scan back to the start of the sentence and firstly remember, then retype the word that I said at the start of the sentence.

Can't really speculate on whether this is an across-the-board problem on all apps or only affects a few, it doesn't always happen, it just happens a lot of the time I've noticed.

Any ideas?

Dyno

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Are you using the built-in OS X Dictation function, or a third-party app?
-If OS X Dictation, do you have Use Enhanced Dictation enabled and have downloaded the 1.2 GB addition?
-Do you pause for a second before speaking?
-Which app(s) are you using dictation in?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory.

1) I'm using the built-in version.
2) Enhanced dictation is enabled. I presume i have the 1.2gb addition as I read you must have this to use enhanced dictation.
3) Yes, and I speak super super clearly in well annunciated English.
4) Pages mainly, but also Chrome, reminders, wherever I can make use of it.

Reaction score
The issue seems to have evolved recently also. Not only does it often delete the first word, for some reasons it's started transcribing entire sections of a parapraph, then deciding it doesnt like it and deleting what it's just written. I'm not using a delete command or anything. It's really starting to get on my nerves now. (Again, this doesnt happen all the time, but often enough for it to be a real issue for my workflow.)

Ask a Question