Deleting an app that isn't there (!)

Reaction score
Hi all,
Found this forum after a bit of searching, would really appreciate if you can help.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 13" 2017 running Catalina 10.15.5. I've got a pretty small hard drive which isn't too much of a problem as I do most heavy lifting on an external drive. Even so I'm starting to run out of space. If I check the 'manage storage' I can see my apps folder is pretty big and there's one app taking up 17gb which I can get rid of. However when I try to delete, nothing happens. Further, I can't go to it, and if I navigate to it manually it isn't there, it's not even a hidden file. Similarly, if I go to the folder it is in and check the size it only shows the size of the thing in there. But back in the storage overview, if I tot up the sizes it is including this 17gb file. To my uninformed eye it seems like I've got 17gb of precious space tied up, but can't access it or even find it. Would really appreciate any help!

Have attached a screenshot of the storage summary

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 11.00.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 11.00.41.png
    115 KB · Views: 101
Reaction score
If you go to the Apps folder, is this program in there?

If so, download and install AppCleaner from here open it and drag the rogue program on to it. It should then delete it but then also empty the Trash to recover the necessary space.

Ask a Question