Dead external seagate 500gb

Reaction score
i have a intern ssd works fine,
sata3
MacBook Pro 2011 high Sierra

now I use the old intern sata Seagate for externe backup, but is not working only readable in diskutil

can I fixit?

this is a copy.

disk 2 exernal

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-20 om 18.49.12.png

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-20 om 18.55.33.png

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Do you need to save any data on the Seagate external? It looks like it needs formatting, as there aren't any visible volumes.

You can try the Disk Utility application and see if it is visible there. NOTE: erasing/partitioning it will delete any data on that drive.

C

Reaction score
There is something I was once caught out on, HDD was not showing on Desktop. Then found 'Finder Preferences' 'General' was not ticked to show HDD. If it is showing in 'Disk Utility' there is as Cory said the reformat option. Also double check connections. Apple once returned a machine to me saying HDD 'not mounting" I opened it up and found a loose internal connection, then the disc mounted as normal. Thing is, I had paid Apple the minimum pre-paid fee (equal to a bottle of wine).

Ask a Question