Cropping issue with Photos

Reaction score
I have encountered a problem cropping a photo when using Photos. the finished product shows as two parts of the cropped photo with a black side bar. I am unable to revert to the original as that option is greyed out in the Image menu.
This only started happening a few days ago.

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.22.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 10.23.13 PM.png

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
in Photos ~> Preferences do you have a tick in the box at "Importing - copy items to the Photos Library"? My imports are stored on my ext hard drive & not in the Photos library & my "Revert to Original" is also greyed out.

I tested my Photos app cropping a picture & it was fine, this is definitely an undesirable glitch & I wonder is this the case with any crop you try? I suggest you duplicate the photo first.

What OS version are you using?

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

MacOs Sierra v.10.12.4.

Yes, I do have a tick in the box at 'Importing etc'
Funny you should suggest duplicating the photo before cropping, that's what I decided to do yesterday. Today I tried cropping an unduplicated photo (that I didn't want to keep), it behaved perfectly.
I still have the originals on my camera from the other day so if I really wanted the corrupted photo I could re-import it.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I have no real answer for this behaviour ... does it do this repeatedly?

Am I correct in believing that the duplicated photo was the one that you had trouble with? Or was that a test you were conducting after the cropping issue first happened, hence the line about the original still residing on your camera?

How many times has this cropping failure happened?

The fact it was a duplicate was likely why 'Revert to Original' was greyed out ... Photos 'knew' it wasn't the original only a copy.

Reaction score
The issue happened with original photos, not duplicates. It happened 4 or 5 times. The last time it happened I remembered to use the undo shortcut keys - command+z and it reverted to the original. It all seems to be working okay since then and the 'Revert to Original' function is once again available.
Whatever it was, it appears to have gone. Huge sigh of relief.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Very odd, reassuring to learn it's gone. I'm new to Photos, had an issue with some photos appearing out of order, as per their time taken stamp, they were slotted in after the night shots for some reason & nothing I did could make them go into their correct order. No rhyme or reason there nor will I lose sleep as it only was 5 photos out of thousands.

Ask a Question