Crashed Mac pro

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro Core i7" 2.0 15 that has refused to work, when i switch it on all i get is a flashing folder with question mark icon, i have tried installing the El-captin OS x through a flash USB drive made bootable using TRANSMAC, POWER ISO..etc but none of them worked. please any one with a workable solution on how to do this. when i make a bootable USB, i plug it in, switch on the mac, press down option button but the USB drive doesn't show out.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like the bootable El Capitan USB flash drive wasn't created properly. Do you have a friend who has a Mac?

C

Reaction score
Thee is one more thing you could try. If the OS on the iMac is at least Lion (OS 10.7), or anything higher/newer, there should be a hidden Recovery Partition on it. This link describes how to boot to that partition, and what is on it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Assuming you can boot your machine to that, you can use Disk Utility there to analyze the drive.

By the way, did you purchase the iMac brand new?

Reaction score
That's the main problem....i don't have access to another mac. How do i do this with windows pc

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with PCs/Windows, so I am not sure it is possible. Since Install OS X El Capitan is actually an application package for Macs only, you may have a very difficult time finding a solution.

Sorry I can't point you in the right direction.

C

Reaction score
Thanks a lot to all you guys that contributed to this thread. I was able to fix the mac using a wifi connection. Had to download an re-install d mac os from Apple server. Working perfectly now.

Ask a Question