Copying photos to a USB drive

Reaction score
Hello and hi.

I am in the process of backing up my key folders on my iMac (High Sierra) to USB drives. I'm currently working through my photos and have reached a point of absolute bafflement!

There are some folders in which the files have all copied over and are showing as present on the USB drive, but there is no preview image. Furthermore, if you click to open them, you receive this error message...

d66ed433-3aa4-4c07-bb4e-200cc5d99c77

So far I have:
  • tried three different USB drives, each formatted into MacOS Extended, with the same result.
  • been unable to find anything even remotely related on the forums.
  • copied only a handful of folders at at time, with the same result.
  • tried copying the photos themselves - in groups and individually - across - same result!
  • discovered that, for some reason, all my folders A-G do not have this issue!
  • believed it was only H folders afflicted, but copied L, P and S folders over, too - with the same result!
The files themselves are not corrupted as they are still previewed, viewable and fully accessible on the computer itself!

So please, can anyone help me understand what's happening here and what I do about it!?

For reference, I've attached the info of the USB drive, as it stands.

Many thanks!

Dan

Attachments

• USB info pic.jpeg
    USB info pic.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Can you not just copy complete photo library?

Just a thought but I have always formatted my external drives to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as this is the default file system format for Mac OS X drives.

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Can you not just copy complete photo library?

Just a thought but I have always formatted my external drives to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as this is the default file system format for Mac OS X drives.
Hi oldscribe,

Thanks for your reply. You seem to have missed a couple of fundamental points in my post - firstly, that I don't NEED to copy my complete photo library so that would be of no help, and secondly, that I added a screenshot of the USB drive info that shows it is, indeed, formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I appreciate your response nonetheless.

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

If you right click then get info on one of these image file could you post a screenshot.

Ask a Question