Control+command+space just doesn't work sometimes

Reaction score
Every other keyboard shortcut I use always works fine, but for some reason, the emoji shortcut just sometimes doesn't. To get it to work, I have to go to another window where I can type text, use the shortcut, and then it'll pop up multiple times like the previous activations just piled up.

I think it's a bug in macOS (that's been around since at least Big Sur in my experience), but I'd love to know a fix or workaround.

Example of the emoji pop-up:

1652972228016.png

It worked fine here (in this WYSIWYG). Just sometimes, anywhere, it just won't; sometimes after multiple attempts, it'll pop up, other times I have to switch windows.

It doesn't happen often, but often enough that it's annoying and I'm here posting about it.

I tried looking for conflicting shortcuts in Settings, but I didn't find any, and when the box doesn't pop-up, nothing else happens, so I don't think it's conflicting with another shortcut.

Any known fixes or workarounds for this?

I've been using this Mac since Catalina. It doesn't matter which keyboard I use.

Reaction score
Oh, I tried your suggestion to add an emoji viewer to the menu bar, but apparently that's not applicable to Monterey.

1655132960014.png

Now I'm in a new fun rabbit hole, yay.

Note that I don't have access to the touch bar most of the time because the Mac is typically under a monitor with its lid closed when I'm working at home.

I'm not seeing how to add your suggestion to the actual on-screen macOS yet, though I'm still digging! I may just not be understanding enough of Apple's latest terminology.

Ask a Question