command when shutting down pc

Reaction score
I just discovered "automator" and like it very much. I was reading the several tasks but did not find a way to give a command when the pc is shutting down. I want (would like to), tell my pc to lower the audio to zero every time that I shut the pc. This because I always start the pc very early in the morning when all are still sleeping and shall avoid any noise.
Please let me know which command to use for specifying "when pc is shutting down". Thank you

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,
I just discovered "automator" and like it very much. I was reading the several tasks but did not find a way to give a command

It is not an automator but terminal command that is needed for this job.;)
This because I always start the pc very early in the morning when all are still sleeping and shall avoid any noise.

Why not just press the mute button on your keyboard (that’s the F10 key on a MacBook) before shutting down or restarting your Mac.

But if your happy with terminal then try the following command
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80
or
sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume="%00"

Enter your password when prompted and press Enter. Then restart your Mac and you should not hear any sound.

To get the startup chime to play normally again when you boot your Mac, run the following command
sudo nvram -d SystemAudioVolume

There is also 3rd party software called StartNinja which you may want to check out.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiy3cDJ3bXQAhUMBMAKHQeSDzMQtwIIRTAF&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rw1Z6FUqqo&usg=AFQjCNFA_tc6RIUWj8A-zwxpxe9fZaSIcA

Last edited:
Reaction score
thank you oldscribe for your contribution; I know how to make "mute" the pc. The problem is remembering to do it before quitting. Unfortunately StartNinja doesn't work with Sierra.

Ask a Question