Cigarette Smoke Protection

Reaction score
I smoke. It's an evil habit and don't bother telling me to stop; I keep trying.

I used to use Windows PCs. The local shop would clean it every couple of years. When I switched to Macs in 2008, and was shocked to find the Apple Store (100 mile round trip) wouldn't touch it. I have a $3,500 Mac Pro that is just taking up closet space. So I bought a Mac Mini that lasted 5 years before the fan started making loud noises. Bought a new one and used Migration Assistant to transfer everything. Same problem happening with the newer one. Bought a replacement.

So if I can't quit smoking (and the ONLY time I smoke is at the computer), I thought maybe a box enclosure of FPR 10 air filters (for good air circulation) might solve the problem. FPR 10 filters catch smoke particles.

What do YOU all think?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

Yes, it is an evil habit. I am still a smoker myself, but down to 5-7 a day. Personally, I don't smoke in my house or vehicle, only outside.

Cigarette/cigar smoke can be VERY bad for electronics, especially those like computers that have cooling fans. Apple would only refuse to service the Mac of a smoker if it were very evident that it was exposed - i.e. noticeable yellowing of the external case, obvious odor of smoke, etc. It would fall under their biohazard policy.

I can't really comment on your air filter idea, as I am not in your situation, nor have I ever seen that.

I can only recommend that you don't smoke around the computer, as that is the best solution.

C

Reaction score
Well, given that the only time I desire to smoke is when I'm sitting and thinking at the computer stuck in "writer's block", going outside to smoke is not going to work for me. I don't know quite what it is. I can have an open pack of cigarettes sitting around for days and have no interest in lighting a cigarette. But put my butt in the computer chair and hit a thinking blockage, and *click* bic lights a cig. I really only smoke when thinking hard.

Many great writers have been bourbon-fueled chain-smokers. Not that I'm a great writer, but my drive is the same. Nicotine seems to activate my mind quite well. Thankfully, I only sip at my wine glass infrequently.

Now, about the air filter box... It's not the odor of cigarette smoke or discoloration that concerns me. I don't notice the odor and the external case is easily cleaned with a barely damp cloth. It is the particulate matter from the smoke that gets into the fan that causes it to fail eventually. And I'm not a hardware guy.

So to ALL, has anyone tried making a smoke filter box around their computer? It seems to me that if I just set a filter enclosure around the mac mini, the fan would last forever. Just a 4" tall wood box around the sides with a FPR 9 air filter on the top. Plenty of air circulation. Is there a reason it WOULDN'T work?

Ask a Question