Certain keys stop working...

Reaction score
Lately, half a row of keys on my keyboard will stop working, either briefly or for extended periods. The A, S, D, F, G, H, and J keys will simply stop working, although the Caps Lock (to the left of A) and the keys to the right of "J" have no problems.

At first, the keys would stop working and I would just jam some random keys until the keys in question started appearing again. But eventually this method stopped working, so I did a little research online and it sounded like it was probably a loose connection somewhere. So I opened up my MacBook (warrranty etc already expired) to look around, but realized I had no idea WHERE the keyboard connector is... fortunately, for a while just opening it up and pushing on random spots would make the keyboard work again... but like last time, this method has stopped working.

If anyone can instruct me to where I can find the keyboard connection, or has another suggestion of what the problem could be, please post ASAP! I use my MacBook for everything including my job, & can't really afford to buy a new one right now.

I use a MacBook Pro 13" bought in mid-2009, I'm not sure exactly what model it is. It's silver with black keys, and pretty sure it's a 13".

Reaction score
Sound like a hardware problem, take it to an Apple Service Centre near you.

Reaction score
Yes this is of course a hardware problem. I don't see the need to take it to an Apple Repair store, as it seems to be just a loose connection that I could fix myself if somebody can tell me where to locate the connector on the motherboard.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hello? Nobody on a Mac Help forum can tell me where the keyboard connects to the motherboard?

Reaction score
If you're pulling your Mac apart without a Service Manual then I'm not sure any help we can offer would help.

My advise take it to an Apple Service Centre near you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Sorry, but we don't have an answer because it is not a user-serviceable part. We cannot suggest anything that could and would void any warranty or ability for the computer to be in a serviceable state by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Regards,

C

Reaction score
My warranty is already long expired and there is no apple care center within 100 miles of me. I can't mail it in because I can't go two months without my computer while waiting for Apple to fix it. This is likely not a hard problem to fix, but you would rather I pay $500 to get it replaced "professionally" when all I have to do is unplug a cord and plug it back in. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
In the last 15 years of working with Macs I have not encounter a Keys not working problem that was solved by "unplug a cord and plug it back in" they don't have "cords".

The likely problem is the tracks have corroded though some long forgotten spillage, it will require a replacement keyboard, which may also be a whole top case. There are many "Non" Apple, AppleCare Service Centres and if you phone around you will find one that can do the job in less than a month.

I'm living in the back of beyond and can still have a 3day turnaround.

Reaction score
The keyboard has to connect somewhere. Wherever this connection is, it could be loose. Corrosion could be the problem but I would like to see it first hand before paying any money to get it replaced. Seven keys, all in the same row, start and stop working, and the positioning of my laptop plays a factor in it.

If seven keys stopped working and never worked again, fine, it's ruined, but the fact that a little shaking around or tightening/loosening of the screws can temporarily fix the problem, leads me to believe it is a loose connection somewhere rather than a ruined keyboard.

Ask a Question