CCC and OS X... New HD, No CD

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought an iBook G3 from a user on eBay. The product works and all, and is running Panther, but I want to upgrade the original HD to a 120 GB drive. Could I use CCC to backup/clone my current HD info and OS X to an external drive, install the new 120GB HD, then boot OS X and everything else onto the new disk? The reason I ask is because the laptop didn't come with any CD's, so no OS X install disc.

I'm a total noob to Mac, so sorry if this question is like a given. :( I don't quite got the handle of the software yet, but I know how to work on a computer so actual HD replacement isn't the problem.

karazelle

Reaction score
you could try to use CCC or even Disk Utilitys Restore feature to "restore" your internal disk to the external disk. Then you should try to boot from your external disk by holding down Option (alt) when the iBook boots just after the chime and see if your external disk is bootable. If it is, then you should be able to restore back to the bigger disk.

However, I wouldn't feel safe without a MacOS X System disk in general, so you should look into getting a copy of OS X somewhere, preferrably Tiger or Leopard, but Panther is good too (no earlier). Makes life easier ;)

Reaction score
First of all, sorry for the late post. :( I was actually waiting for a power charger to arrive in the mail, which TOOK FOREVER. So yeah, I'm about to try what you suggested, and I'll report back here when I'm done!

Ask a Question