Can't upgrade MacOS

Reaction score
Hi

I'm Kati.. I've had my iMac since 2006/2007 and I've been told I can't upgrade the OS anymore? It's 10.6.8.

My apple Mail seems not to be working anymore it seems unable to collect any mail I just have a circle with a squiggle next to each mailbox and no new mail is coming in. I was told it's cos servers can detect it's an old OS and won't allow it to connect or something?

Firefox recently asked me to update then told me I couldn't because my OS was out of date.

Other than this my IMac is working, there's nothing physically wrong with it, it's been well looked after, not a scratch on it. It was bought with 1TB storage (the highest at the time on the Apple Store) so I find it hard to believe that it's not because there's not enough space left it on it.

I was wondering if anyone on here knew if I could update or there's a way to connect a Mac Mini I have and use that as the hard drive with a more recent OS (and which could be updated to the latest) and use my iMac as the monitor?

Lastly how would I get all my photo's onto a new Macbook I have as I have photo's from 2006 and an old dog who has since passed and I don't want to lose these photo's of her as I don't have them anywhere else. I also need to put my iTunes from the Macbook, currently everything is on this old iMac when I want to download music or apps.

If someone can answer me here or tell me which section I need to post these questions on please?

Thanks very much

Kati

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model iMac is it?
-Who is your email provider? You should be able to get it working, even though your version of OS X is older.
-Which version of Firefox are you running currently? You should be able to download and install Firefox ESR version 45, which will run on Macs from 2006 running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
- Your model iMac doesn't support it, but more recent versions of iMacs/Mac minis with Mini DisplayPort/Tunderbolt ports can run in Target Display Mode. So, you cannot use the display in your iMac with your Mac mini.
-If you were to purchase a new Mac, there are ways to migrate your data. I believe Apple Stores still offer this service as well. If not, there are ways to use an external HD to copy your files to and then copy them to your new Mac. Depending on the exact models, it could be a very manual process and take a few hours at least.

This is the correct forum for your post, so no worries. We'll see if we can help you out.

C

Reaction score
It's the 24" iMac model from 2006 or 2007 I think when I bought it. It just says 3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo in about this Mac running 10.6.8, 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Email..have 2 sky email addy's and 2 Gmail.. none of them will collect from this particular Mac though they will from newer Macbook. Previously I'd get incoming mail but for some reason always got the message that it was unable to connect to Sky server when trying to send out mail from Sky addresses so would have to select one of the Gmail addy's. it's still showing mailboxes greyed out and the little circle with squiggly line next to each one. Can I just update Mail?

Firefox says 48.0.2 then underneath that I can't perform further updates on this system. If I click on 'learn more' it brings up this page saying it no longer supports Mac 10.6, 10.7, 10.8

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx

I usually buy my Mac's from Apple Store UK (Ireland) as I live quite rurally and some distance away from a nearest Apple Store, so would need instructions how to do it here.

Would it be worth purchasing a Time Machine from Apple Store as I assume that will do everything automatically when I connect it? .. I'm not sure if the newer versions would support the older OS though. The newer Macbook is one of the new rose gold (pink) Macbooks that came out recently. I also have a Macbook Pro from a couple of years ago (though the screen has cracked on that, it's still fully working.)

I would want my photo's to go onto the newer one and for using iTunes from that one too (pink one)

Thanks

Kati

Reaction score
It's the 24" iMac model from 2006 or 2007 I think when I bought it. It just says 3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo in about this Mac running 10.6.8, 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Email..have 2 sky email addy's and 2 Gmail.. none of them will collect from this particular Mac though they will from newer Macbook. Previously I'd get incoming mail but for some reason always got the message that it was unable to connect to Sky server when trying to send out mail from Sky addresses so would have to select one of the Gmail addy's. it's still showing mailboxes greyed out and the little circle with squiggly line next to each one. Can I just update Mail?

Firefox says 48.0.2 then underneath that I can't perform further updates on this system. If I click on 'learn more' it brings up this page saying it no longer supports Mac 10.6, 10.7, 10.8

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx

I usually buy my Mac's from Apple Store UK (Ireland) as I live quite rurally and some distance away from a nearest Apple Store, so would need instructions how to do it here.

Would it be worth purchasing a Time Machine from Apple Store as I assume that will do everything automatically when I connect it? .. I'm not sure if the newer versions would support the older OS though. The newer Macbook is one of the new rose gold (pink) Macbooks that came out recently. I also have a Macbook Pro from a couple of years ago (though the screen has cracked on that, it's still fully working.)

I would want my photo's to go onto the newer one and for using iTunes from that one too (pink one)

Thanks

Kati
Your machine, Apple says, was manufactured between September 2006 and summer 2007. It is now considered obsolete, It originally shipped with OS 10.4, and the maximum OS it will handle is 10.7.5. So you can upgrade the OS a little, but not to current status (10.7 is also orphaned now). There are workarounds (one of my computers is a 1999 G4 tower. It still works, and you can find software to enable you to make an older machine productive.) for older equipment that still works. For mail, a problem you mention, you can check out Thunderbird (a Mozilla mail app) for example. Be sure to get a version compatible with your OS (I use Thunderbird on a first generation Macbook Pro, also orphaned some years ago, and it still works fine). Check around on the net, and you will find many legacy programs (not in Apple's App Store) that will make your old computer humm along for a few more years.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model iMac is it?
-Who is your email provider? You should be able to get it working, even though your version of OS X is older.
-Which version of Firefox are you running currently? You should be able to download and install Firefox ESR version 45, which will run on Macs from 2006 running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
- Your model iMac doesn't support it, but more recent versions of iMacs/Mac minis with Mini DisplayPort/Tunderbolt ports can run in Target Display Mode. So, you cannot use the display in your iMac with your Mac mini.
-If you were to purchase a new Mac, there are ways to migrate your data. I believe Apple Stores still offer this service as well. If not, there are ways to use an external HD to copy your files to and then copy them to your new Mac. Depending on the exact models, it could be a very manual process and take a few hours at least.

This is the correct forum for your post, so no worries. We'll see if we can help you out.

C
Sorry, I forgot the second question on moving files. If you get a new Mac, also get a firewire cable. Connect the cable to the new mac, and boot it up normally. Then connect the other end of the cable to the old iMac, and boot that computer holding down the T key as you do so. This boots you in “Target Disk Mode” and the old computers drive will mount on the new computer's desktop, where you can transfer all the files you want to copy to the new computer.

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot the second question on moving files. If you get a new Mac, also get a firewire cable. Connect the cable to the new mac, and boot it up normally. Then connect the other end of the cable to the old iMac, and boot that computer holding down the T key as you do so. This boots you in “Target Disk Mode” and the old computers drive will mount on the new computer's desktop, where you can transfer all the files you want to copy to the new computer.

If I can start my old iMac up in 'Target Disk Mode' connected to a new iMac using a Firewire cable why can't I connect a Firewire cable to my Mac Mini and my old iMac (holding the T key) to use my old Mac as monitor for the Mac Mini? I'm sure they both have a Firewire port but I've never used them as I didn't know what it was for!

Would I need the shift lock on so it was a capital T or doesn't it matter?

tbh I'm reluctant to spend another £1,800 if Apple are going to stop supporting hardware after its been out a few years. It seems since the iPhone and iPad were launched and releasing new ones every year with one's a couple of years old no longer being able to upgrade that they are doing the same with the computers too, so people have to buy the hardware more often.

Do any others like Safari or Opera support the older Mac's? I liked Firefox cos it had themes which safari didn't have back then, dunno whether they do now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If I can start my old iMac up in 'Target Disk Mode' connected to a new iMac using a Firewire cable why can't I connect a Firewire cable to my Mac Mini and my old iMac (holding the T key) to use my old Mac as monitor for the Mac Mini? I'm sure they both have a Firewire port but I've never used them as I didn't know what it was for!

Would I need the shift lock on so it was a capital T or doesn't it matter?

tbh I'm reluctant to spend another £1,800 if Apple are going to stop supporting hardware after its been out a few years. It seems since the iPhone and iPad were launched and releasing new ones every year with one's a couple of years old no longer being able to upgrade that they are doing the same with the computers too, so people have to buy the hardware more often.

Do any others like Safari or Opera support the older Mac's? I liked Firefox cos it had themes which safari didn't have back then, dunno whether they do now.

Using the old iMac as a monitor for the Mini won't work; the monitor of the iMac is integrated, and you would have to disconnect it, which might be possible, but is above my pay grade. You don't need to have a shift on for Target Disk Mode. Immediately after hitting the power button, hold down the T key; a capital T is not required, just press and hold the T key until you see it is booted, which won't take long, as the OS will not load.

Older versions of Safari are around, as are older versions of Opera and Firefox, and they would run, but have some speed and security flaws.I believe both Firefox and Opera have older, now unsupported, versions on their websites, er links to same. If you want to minimize security issues you could try a version of TOR. Read their web page to see if it is for you. TOR is slow, but extra secure because everything (except torrent downloads) are triple encrypted, and go through three servers before exiting on the web, or returning to you from the web.

Reaction score
ok thanks, so what monitor is the Mac mini supposed to work with? ... was it designed just to be plugged into any TV? Is there a model of monitor by apple that looks like the silver screen of the iMac's that I maybe able to pick up cheaper to connect Mac Mini to?

I picked the Mac mini up cheap in a sale thinking I could use it as the hard drive and my old iMac as the monitor! It came with Yosemite but I'd upgrade it as it doesn't have the large font so I can read it without reading glasses (as TV is further from me when I'm sat on sofa, than iMac monitor is when I'm at desk)

Reaction score
The mini will work with just about any monitor, though you may need an adaptor for some of them to work, The one you reference would work; whether it needs an adaptor, I do not know. The adaptors are cheap, and you can ask the vendor whether you need some sort of adaptor for this to work.

Reaction score
ok thanks,, think that's the route I'm going to take then in future it would be cheaper to replace the Mac Mini or use a Macbook and connect to the monitor. I'm sure there'll always be some kind of adapters about!

Ask a Question