can't text certain contacts

Reaction score
I've recently started using my brother's old iPhone 4 with a hello mobile sim - I know they're a dodgy company but they're cheap..
When I try texting certain contacts the messages refuse to send. I get the 'message send failure' message. It's nothing to do with the signal though, because I can call these contacts and text others when I'm standing in the same spot, just can't text.
I know it could be a problem with hello mobile but they've sent me out a new sim and it's still not working, so I thought I should check if it's a problem with the phone.

They've already tried
- resetting the sim from their end
- resetting it from my end (turning the phone off, taking the sim out, waiting 10min, putting it back in, turning the phone on)
- checking the message centre number
- changing the contact numbers from ex. 0432 to +61 432 (I'm in Australia)

and all the people I've been messaging and can't message are within Australia.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi. And welcome,

Defiantly think this it a service providers issue, but check the following. Go to system preferences > General > Cellular and make sure that Cellular Data is on and data Roaming also.

Reaction score
Hi,

Turns out my data roaming was off, but I turned it on and still couldn't message the same people. Any other ideas? Or do you know what could be going wrong with my phone company?

Reaction score
Hi,

Can these contacts SMS you?
Have you got iMessage turned on also do they have it activated as well?

Have you tried other apps such as Viber or Whatsapp?

Edit:

Are you on a phone contract or pay as you go?

Reaction score
Hi,

Yep they can message me and I have iMessage turned on. I don't know if they do, but even if they didn't I should just be able to send them normal messages, shouldn't I?

No I haven't because some of the contacts I can't message don't have iPhones.

I'm pay as you go

Reaction score
Hi,

Are you in AUS as it could be that there data out is restricted, also Whatsapp is multi platform so they should have no trouble getting the app.

Reaction score
Hi,

There carrier may be restricting there data.
You could try this but personally do not feel it is your iPhone a fault.

1. Go to settings
2.Go to carriers
3. Switch off automatic and manually change the carrier to something other then Your carrier EG Vodafone or orange etc.
4. Come out of settings and wait until it fails to connect to the other carrier
5. Once it fails repeat the process and this time choose your carrier.

Reaction score
Oh ok, but they're able to receive messages from other people. And the message fails before it even leaves my phone.

Yep, you're right it didn't work. Is it worth restoring the phone to factory settings? Or should I keep hassling the phone company?

Reaction score
Hi,

You could try a hard reset

Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears.
Drag the slider.
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until the Apple logo appears.

Or restore as you say, one question did your brother ever have an issue like this?

Reaction score
Hi,

Still feel it to be a carrier issue, also are these contacts using a number or email as there messaging source?

Reaction score
Yep same, just I thought using a new sim would help. Oh well, they're super cheap so I guess service isn't going to be amazing. I'm using their numbers

Ask a Question