Can't see dock from mac mail only

ALE

Reaction score
The dock is hidden when I am on mac mail, but it is visible from all other apps. I need it to be visible again. I have checked systems preferences and the 'automatically hide and show' is not ticked. I have restarted the computer. It is the same. I can see the doc at the bottom in all apps but mail. Any ideas?

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you let us know the following:

1. What Mac OS are you using?

2. What exact Mac model do you have?

3. Are you making backups to an external device?

ALE

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you let us know the following:

1. What Mac OS are you using?

2. What exact Mac model do you have?

3. Are you making backups to an external device?
Thanks for response.
1. Yosemite
2. Macbook Air
3. Yes, I do this about every 2 months.

I feel sure this is linked to some OS update b/c 'mail' looks different and so do other apps. The top toolbar with the apple on the left and the time and date, wifi, etc on the right is also hidden. Both top and bottom emerge if you put the cursor there, but are not visible. Since yesterday.

Reaction score
That definitely is strange! I am using OS 10.11.6 on my mid 2013 13" macBook Air, along with Outlook 2016 for my EMail needs, and even after updating Outlook 2016 to V15.28 the other day, I am not having the issue you are. In fact, I tried to drag the lower right corner of Outlook 2016 over the dock, and it would not let me!

Do you happen to remember any updates you did? I tend to install my updates on my own, especially ones from Apple. If you let some app install an update automatically, that could be the culprit. I did, though, let 1Password do an "update" in place the other day (I later downloaded the updater myself), and did not have any issues.

Maybe you could try installing the last Combo Updater for Yosemite, OS 10.10.5. You can get it from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1832?locale=en_US

That might do the trick for you!

Hope it helps. If you do try it, please let us know what results you see.

One other thing I for got to mention is that if this does the trick, you should make a backup of it, as it would be a "clean" one. Also, what software do you use for your backups?

Last edited:

ALE

Reaction score
I wanted to thank you for your help. I found the issue. It's a new Mail feature whereby you can work in full screen if you hit a button in top left corner (the green stoplight button) which I must have hit by accident. Here is the link to explain it if anyone else encounters this. It is not self-evident at all b/c the green, red buttons are usually for opening and closing........

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22295?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Reaction score
Glad you got your issue resolved. And Cory, thanks for that info. I actually just did that with Google Chrome, and it works as stated, including getting back!

Ask a Question