Can't make bookmarks

Reaction score

I can no longer make bookmarks. They just don't show up.

I fixed this problem once by

1. exporting my bookmarks
2. deleting the bookmarks.plist from my user Library
3. importing my bookmarks.

Restarting does not solve the problem. I don't want to have to follow the above procedure every day. Please advice.

Also, In Disk Utility, I see no longer an option to "Verify Preferences." I only see the option to run First Aid. Is "Verify Preferences" a thing of the past? I presume it's part of First Aid.

Reaction score
I assume you mean Verify and Repair Permissions, which means you are using El Capitan. Do you have the latest version, 10.11.3?

Also, if you want to Repair Permissions, you should download the excellent freeware program from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

It has the Repair Permissions feature, along with other useful tasks. I have been using Onyx for a number of years, and have always used its Repair Permissions feature, even when it was availability in Disk Utility. It is a rock solid, well reviewed utility program.

As for your bookmarks issue, are you using Safari?

Reaction score
First line in my original post says 10.11.3.

Yes, I have the bookmarks problem in Safari.

Yes, I must have had a brain fart. I meant, "Verify Permissions" and "Repair Permissions." Since it's gone from the Disk Utility, I will just use the Terminal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oops! Missed that, ie, OS 10.11.3.

I suspect using Terminal to Repair Permissions is fine, but Onyx already makes that process easy. And, it has other useful takes that it can perform. Again, it is a proven, well reviewed product that has been around for a number of years.

Also, can you try another browser? You should be able to import the bookmarks from Safari into the new browser, and see if adding bookmarks can be done in that other browser.

Reaction score
I do have Onyx.

I have Firefox, which has no problems with bookmarks, but I happen to dislike Firefox.

Today the bookmark problem in Safari went away by itself. I didn't do anything, didn't reboot etc. Bizarre.

Reaction score
That is bizarre! But, it could be a false sense of security. You should start doing periodic disk cleanup/maintenance. Onyx can help with some of that, and Disk Utility (on the hidden Recovery HD partition) is an OK solution. It would be wise to invest in a more advanced disk utility program, like TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior. Both of those are excellent choices.

Ask a Question