Can't copy between macs on my network

Reaction score
I finally felt compelled to replace my ibook G4, which was running OS 10.4. I bought a Macbook Air, with OS 10.9. My desktop computer is a Mac Mini running OS 10.6.

My normal workflow when I'm writing is to save the file on which ever computer I'm working on at the time, and then transfer the file to the other computer via drag and drop in finder windows with the two computers connected though my home network.

When I tried this with the Macbook Air, it gave a warning that a newer item exists at this location with that name. (Should have been an older item.) I confirmed that I was transferring the right direction, and hit the "replace" button. I then got a message that the requested task could not be completed because the file "" all ready exists. It dosn't give the file name in this message, just the empty quotes.

It seems in the first place, that I've already been warned about the previous existence of the file and confirmed the replacement, but worse that that, it destroyed the file on the mini! The file has zero length. If the file does not already exist on the mini, I get the same results. First it tells me a newer file exists, then it tells me that it can't do it because file "" already exists.

When I tried clicking "Keep Both" instead of "Replace" it started saving creating multiple versions of the file on the Mini, all of zero lengths. To stop it from doing that, I had to "Force disconnect" the network connection between the two computers. It had created more than 5000 zero length files by that point.

Apparently, it creates the zero length file with the requested name, and then says it can't replace it.

I can save the file to the other computer by using the "Save As" function, but this is rather a pain since it resets the destination each time and I need to navigate to a location on the dis about 6 folders deep each time to do this.

Any suggestions about what might be going on and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Steven K. Smith

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

My normal workflow when I'm writing is to save the file on which ever computer I'm working on at the time, and then transfer the file to the other computer via drag and drop

Why not use iCloud for this as it makes the job easy.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Not entirely sure if this is relevant to your issue but worth a look-over:

Not able to copy files to another Mac in the network via AFP

Be very careful about following any of the recommendations & make sure you have a complete current backup of your files.

When I try to copy, Finder creates a file with the same name but zero bytes in size. It then warns me that a file with the same name exists and do I wish to replace it. On confirming replace, I get the following erorr:

The operation can’t be completed because an item with the name “” already exists.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Why not use iCloud for this as it makes the job easy.
That I could use the cloud to do this is irrelevant to the issue. This is a new computer, and it should do this, therefore something is wrong. I was looking for a solution, not a work around.

Reaction score
Not entirely sure if this is relevant to your issue but worth a look-over:

Not able to copy files to another Mac in the network via AFP

Be very careful about following any of the recommendations & make sure you have a complete current backup of your files.
Thanks for the assistance. I ended up taking it to the Mac Store after phone support failed me. The problem confused a couple of the techs there as well, so I don't feel too bad about being flummoxed by it myself.

It turned out that when I'd migrated the Mini to the Macbook I only migrated the user account. That computer is set up with a user account and an admin account, and the Macbook also ended up with a user and admin account, but something was set wrong with the permissions on the user account which caused the problem. Something like that, anyway. The expedient solution was to transfer the user data and applications to the admin account, and then delete the user account. It appears to be working now, at any case.

Appreciate the help.

Ask a Question