Cannot restore OS

Reaction score
I've got a 2.5 GHz core i5 iMac with two partitions. I had system 10.13 running in one partition, and 10.6 runs in the other. While the computer was on and connected to the internet (I think) via Safari, while idle, it spontaneously restarted. This is the second time that's happened in the last month or so. I quickly looked at the computer and it was installing some software. So, I immediately shut it down. Now serious problems. I can run OS 10.6 in the one partition, but system 10.13 will not start up. And there is no 10.13 icon for startup disc under 10.6 system preferences.

After trying this and that, including resetting the PRAM, I completely erased the former 10.13 partition (writing zeros over all data). So, I've got a backup system on a thumb drive. If I start up while holding the option key I can find the backup thumb drive and try to restore it. It does take about ten minutes to replace OS 10.13 on that partition, then restarts the computer, accompanies by the chimes, apple logo and a horizontal bar that creeps to the right, supposedly restarting the system. In twenty minutes, or so, the bar shows completely filled. But then, even after six hours, nothing happens. No actual restart.

I've used disc utility to examine the newly installed OS 10.13 partiton, with the system folder, etc. Utility verifies that disc, no repairs needed.

So, how do I actually get OS 10.13 back up and running?

A second question. I'd like to use Safari 5.1 running in my OS 10.6 partition to access response to this post. (I'm using a borrowed computer now.) I'm asked to register, then verify (??) my password. The password is correct, but no application appears in the verification box. Can I not access this forum using Safari 5.1?

Ask a Question