Cannot Open file

Reaction score
Hi all.
I cannot open an important .doc format (MS Word) document cause of this error: "Cannot Open file". Is there something I can do myself to repair .doc file?

Reaction score
Need some information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you using?

3. What application are you using to try and open the file?

4. How did you receive the file?

Reaction score
Hi all.
I cannot open an important .doc format (MS Word) document cause of this error: "Cannot Open file". Is there something I can do myself to repair .doc file?
Have you been able to open this file before?
Which version of microsoft office are you using to read the file?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,dardar90

The Word doc file is stored as OLE2 storage format, a very complex file format. It starts with a file header containing the meta information of the whole file, followed by several parts containing the actual data. You can find more detailed information about the Word doc file format by searching on Google with the keyword “Word doc file format”. If the file header containing the meta information is corrupt, or any follow-up parts are damaged or corrupted, then you will not be able to open the file correctly with Word. In such a case, the first step is to try to use the built-in repair or recovery function in the Word, to see if it can repair or recover the corrupt file. If not, then you need to resort to a third-party Word recovery tool to scan the corrupted file and recover Word data for you. It is also possible to find a data recovery expert or company to do the task, but in most of the cases, they will also use a third-party tool to do the recovery for you.

The main difference between using the software by yourself and by a third-party service company is:

(1) The company is familiar with the data recovery industry so he knows which software is the best one. While you need to search and compare the software online by yourself, which is time-consuming.

(2) The company purchases the software for multiple usages, while you purchase the software for one-time usage only. So normally the service fee may be cheaper than the license fee for the software.

(3) DIY will keep your data confidential while do the recovery via a company may cause data breach.

If you want to perform a DIY recovery, then you can try the following methods:

1. First of all, you can try the recovery function integrated with Microsoft Word, as follows:

1) On the File menu, click Open.

2) In the Look in list, click the drive, folder, or Internet location that contains the file that you want to open.

3) In the folder list, locate and open the folder that contains the file.

4) Select the file that you want to recover.

5) Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.

2. Second, since Word 2003, it provides a "Document Recovery" or "AutoRecover" mechanism so that when Word is shutdown abnormally, the Word file being edited will be recovered when Word is launched next time, which makes the file recovery possible.

3. If the above methods do not work, then you may try a third-party Word recovery tool. Normally the tool provides a free demo version so that you can try to see if the data you want can be recovered or not.

Hope this will help. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Note that service is only available to Windows versions of Word.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question