Can you install apps from an external hard drive

Reaction score
I have a 64gb MacBook Air and the basic software (including updates) is taking up all but 4-6gb of storage, so I use an external hard drives for all my files and even basic apps.... My question is this: I am downloading applications straight to the external hard drive, but when I try to open the installer it downloads for the app it either does not work at all, or will install the application to the computer... are there any solutions for this?

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

I would do this the other way round, IE download the app to your Air then choose the external drive (as long as its been formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled) as the destination for the install.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Most software requires installation on the same drive the OS is on and booted from. If not, some of the support files won't be accessed properly and/or updates won't be applied correctly.

I would use the internal drive for the OS and apps, and store your iTunes Library and other files on the external. You could also look into replacing the internal drive with a larger one, or installing the OS on the external and booting from it, bypassing the internal all together.

C

Ask a Question