Can I use an iMac as a second monitor?

Reaction score
For work, I purchased an iMac in late 2020 (not sure of the actual model--likely 2019), then later bought a Macbook Pro 16-inch (2019) since I couldn't keep the iMac at home.

Even though there are some old files on the iMac, the Macbook Pro has all my current files on it -- can I still use the iMac as a monitor? I need to be able to go between screens and look at InDesign, Photoshop, etc. I may have read somewhere that only older iMacs can be used as monitors, but please correct me if I'm wrong/let me know.

Reaction score
You can easily do this using a Luna Display (https://astropad.com/product/lunadisplay/)

On the new MacBook Pro, after installing the Luna Display app, you would plug the Luna Display dongle and then on your iMac, all you need to do is run the Luna Secondary app.

Then your iMac will be a 2nd display. Another perk is while using the Luna, the keyboard and mouse thats connected to the iMac can also be used as though its connected to the MacBook Pro.

Ask a Question