Can I upgrade 2011 Macbook OSC 10.6.8?

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro, 2011 Mac OSX 10.6.8. *error in my title... not OSC!)

I don't know the first thing about upgrading a laptop or updating software, but my Safari browser (version 5.1.10) displays websites funny, and I can't download certain plugins anymore; I think because my laptop is so old??

What do I need to do to upgrade both my laptop AND my browsers?? I am a total newbie at this, and don't have anyone else to help. If I bring to the Genius Bar, can they do it for me?

Thank you :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, 2011 MacBook Pros support the latest version of OS X El Capitan 10.11.3. You can perform the upgrade yourself using the App Store application. Make sure you have run all software updates prior to downloading and installing the new OS.

We strongly recommend having a current TimeMachine or other backup of your data at all times, especially when performing a major OS upgrade.

If you don't have a backup, know how to set that up, or simply want hands-on help, the Apple Store Genus Bar should be more than willing to help you out.

C

Reaction score
If you use any third party software (like Office 2011, for example), you'll need to upgrade those also to be compatible with El Capitan. If you let us know what third party software you have, we can let you know if it needs to be updated, and where to get such upgrades.

The other thing that would be wise is to perform some disk cleanup/maintenance on the internal drive inside your MacBook Pro. You should do that after you make a backup to an external device, but before you upgrade. Not sure if the folks at the Genius Bar will do that for you, but you can ask them about that.

Last edited:

Ask a Question