Buffalo Linkstation...

Reaction score
Hi all.
We just installed a Buffalo Linkstation as a NAS on the work network and are having file name issues since (as your slap dash mac user is so often guilty of) we tend to give files...somewhat random...filenames. The process of copying backups to the linkstation will stop, with an invalid file name error.I beleive that this is due to the linkstation being win (fat32??) formatted. Can any of you good people help with either:
1. Using ftp (i may be wrong, but does this work regardless of random file names?). The NAS is set up as ftp server, but I can't for the life of me figure out what address of the device is to use fetch or similar.
or
2. Reformatting or partitioning the device so as to copy random mac files without name issues, but not lose the network functionallity of the device.
or
3. any other solution to allow us to back up the 2 macs on the network to the linkstation, reliably, without invalid name errors. Thanks in advance. PD.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Paul,

best I can find...

http://multipart-mixed.com/productivity/hacking_the_linkstation.html

It seems like you need to hack it a bit to get it to work how you want, or change all the filenames on your Mac's to ones it likes...

I haven't got one to test. I am fortunate to have OS X Server, so that handles NAS for me...

As for FTP, I presume that whatever the IP address is for 'managing' the box ie 192.168.0.1 etc will be the same for FTP...

I found this it may help...

I'll have a dig around...

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks a Million for your time Ric.
The under the hood option is a bit (actually a lot) out of my league but I'll bookmark the hack until I can find a Journeyman who will come do the do on our linkstation. In the mean time I'll pursue the FTP solution.
Thanks again.
PD

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Paul,

no problem, hacking the firmware isn't the nicest of things to do because you can easily turn the 'item' into a brick !

Depending on the fiile names in question, it may be relatively easy to find/replace the dodgy characters with Automator. Let me know if you want to pursue this...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Cheers Ric. A workflow would probably be the best solution. It is, after all, not my linkstation and I think the boss may take a dim view of me turning it into a new doorstop.
I'll hit google for an automator solution.
Thanks, once again for your input.
best regards
PD

Reaction score
Job done.
Using Automator, I have set up a workflow that that replaces illegal characters (rename finder items) with a windoze friendly underscore. My workflow is a bit of a convoluted way of doing things, as it uses one rename action per illegal character (there has to be a easier way), but it seems to do the trick.
I did find some third party apps FYI, here:
http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/
and here:
http://www.sigsoftware.com/namecleaner/
that seem to do the job but they cost moolah which I'm not prepared to spend unnecessarily on behalf of my boss.
Thanks again
PD

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

glad you got it sorted !

The convoluted way, is the only way of doing it in Automator, unless you invoke some AppleScript...but that takes longer, to write than to do in Automator !

;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Buffalo Linkstation

We didnt get anything in return for Ray, since he did not do much of anything up in Ottawa.I am glad we have him back in Buffalo where he does all his charity work, and excellent broadcasting work.