Blocked Plug-in

Reaction score
Every time I update my wives Mac we get this message "Blocked Plug-in". Geek Squad was no help since they could not remote access do to this problem. How do I fix this problem, can not stream any video?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A little more info needed first.

-Which model Mac?
-What version of OS X?
-Which browser - Safari?
-What kind of videos?
-Do you have the latest Adobe Flash installed?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

A little more info needed first.

-Which model Mac?
-What version of OS X?
-Which browser - Safari?
-What kind of videos?
-Do you have the latest Adobe Flash installed?

C
MC508LL/A
MAC OS X
Safari
TV shows on Hulu.
Adobe has been removed and reinstalled 3 times. Rebooting after each procedure.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

One big thing that sticks out is that you are only on Mac OS X 10.6.3. The latest version of Snow Leopard is 10.6.8. I would suggest running Software Update until there are no additional updates. The version of Safari in 10.6.3 may be the culprit. Also, you need Adobe Flash Player 10.1 (.53.64) or above per the Hulu site. You may not be able to install a new enough version of Flash until you do the Mac OS X updates first. Also, make sure you have a current backup of your data, just in case.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your response!! But, that is all Greek to me I'm a windows guy. I'll just wait for the Geek Squad on the forth. Every time this happens they walk in check a box and collect $49.00 and its fixed until the next software update. I put the updates off as long as possible since this happens every time.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response!! But, that is all Greek to me I'm a windows guy. I'll just wait for the Geek Squad on the forth. Every time this happens they walk in check a box and collect $49.00 and its fixed until the next software update. I put the updates off as long as possible since this happens every time.

Not sure how much I would trust those Geek Squad folks, as their Mac knowledge is generally rather limited. Most of the time, one can easily do a much better job than them, and do it for free! If you want to try a straight forward, step by step approach, here it is:

1. First, download and install the OS 10.6.8 Combo Updater. Here is the link to get you going with that:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

Just click the download button. Once the download completes, there will be a file with the ".dmg" suffix, located in the Downloads folder, within your "User" folder. Your User folder is typically your name, or something similar. Just double click that, and follow the instructions. That will also update the version of Safari that you have.

By the way, the Geek Squad folks will, mist likely, download and install the non-Combo Updater of 10.6.8. That is, in most cases, not a good idea. It is just about ALWAYS better to download and install Combo Updaters for any Mac OS.

2. Download and install the latest version of Adobe's Flash Player. Here is the link to get you started with that:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/4783/adobe-flash-player

When you go to that link, move your mouse over where it says download, but do not click on it yet. A small "sub menu" will appear, showing two versions of the software. You don't want the beta version, so choose the other one. Again, once the download completes, there will be a file with the ".dmg" suffix, again located in the Downloads folder, within your "User" folder. Just double click that, and follow the instructions.

3. You should also try to use another browser and see what happens after all that. My browser of choice is Firefox. If you want to download and try it, here is the link for the latest version:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10700/firefox

Just click the download button. Again, once the download completes, there will be a file with the ".dmg" suffix, again located in the Downloads folder, within your "User" folder. Just double click that, and follow the instructions.

All of this is quite simple, and easy to install. Mac folks believe in the "KISS" philosophy: Keep It Simple Stupid! Not too sure if Geek Squad folks understand that!

And, of course, follow Cory Coopers's advice: Make sure that you have a backup FIRST, before starting any of this. If you need help with that, just post your request on this thread.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestone thanks a bunch!! Double Clicking the .dmg was what did the trick, I was downloading but not installing. Nobody ever told me to do that. Thanks for that!! Now her MAC is running fine and up to date. Thanks again

Reaction score
Honestone thanks a bunch!! Double Clicking the .dmg was what did the trick, I was downloading but not installing. Nobody ever told me to do that. Thanks for that!! Now her MAC is running fine and up to date. Thanks again

You're welcome! Are you making frequent backups of her machine? You really need to be doing that on a consistent basis.

Reaction score
Hey there! It worked for me too! Thanks so much for solving this pervasive, previously unsolvable problem. I will pay your good deed forward for sure!!! Thanks again. Arlene

Reaction score
Hey there! It worked for me too! Thanks so much for solving this pervasive, previously unsolvable problem. I will pay your good deed forward for sure!!! Thanks again. Arlene

Glad to hear that Arlene! Now, are you making backups on a consistent basis? That is critical.

Ask a Question