Black screen on bootup

Reaction score
Hi forum, I've a late 2015 a1502, it boots up with a blanked screen.
steps taken:
1. cc+pr after chime gets me into recovery partition, drive mounted and diskil says a.o.k after a 20 minute check
2. nvram resets
3. renamed .com.apple.loginwindow.plist

...basically have run out of ideas
2 questions: if I take out the ssd and attach it via serial lATA-usb + usb-thunderbolt to my a1534 MacBook (2017) can I get it to boot in target mode? (if so how, i.e. what keypresses?)

if not will buying a second hand a1502 (working) and swapping the drives get me back to where I was before the black screen disaster?
would I need to get an exact hardware match a1502 for it to work ok?

thanks Bert.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-When did the issue start to occur?
-If you can startup in the Recovery Partition and the display works, then it sounds like a software issue.
-How much free space is left on the drive?
-Does it work with an external display?
-If it is a display issue, you should be able to startup in TDM and connect it to your other MBP as is.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
hi plugged in a hdmi, but nothing there (doesnt seem to output a signal, black or otherwise)
15 gig free or thereabouts, started suddenly after 4 years, but the machine has been spilled on and suchlike in that time so reckon its hardware.
I heard somewhere that the recovery partition does not use graphics memory or some such from a Mac repair store guy. however this guy is also an idiot because he said running a 10 minute full disk check from utilities in recovery didn't mean the drive was fine.

Ask a Question