BIG SUR - DON'T DO IT!

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would be interested to hear of other experiences with this "upgrade", as mine happened automatically (never again) and this was my experience:
* My computer could not be started from It's wireless mouse or keyboard
* my computer would "sleep" without warning, and then to be unable to be started again
* Apple Help advised me to migrate back to Catalina, which took 3 hours
* Once back to Catalina, I had no access to my backups, emails or documents
* Another several hours with Apple revealed that I had been mis-advised by Apple, and the Big Sur uses different file formats, which makes it UNABLE TO ACCESS PREVIOUSLY MADE BACKUPS AND THE BACKUPS IT HAD MADE WERE USESLESS!!!!!
* Another several hours with higher level Apple person got me back to BIG SUR again, but with access to backups via iCloud
* During this time, most applications that I had added were gone.
* Many applications were greyed out or the icon had a symbol over them so that they would not work.
* I spent another few days downloading all of my previously installed applications and restoring my files, emails and documents.
* Now my mouse and keyboard are available after sleep sometimes, but on other random occasions, they do not work for a few minutes.
* The total time between the arrival of BIG SUR and having the machine operating again was a week and a half.

My iMac is a 2019 27 inch i5 machine that was perfect until BIG SUR.

This experience was almost as bad as experiences with windoze many years ago. Apple should be ashamed of this disgrace, and I for one, will be thinking very seriously before buying anything Apple again in the future.

Foggy

Ask a Question