Better and Better Experiences with High Sierra

Reaction score
As most folks know, I had started 2 other threads here about High Sierra, and they were not very "kind". Well, I am happy to say that High Sierra seems to be getting better and better. Start up times are improving, as well as switching start up devices, either to Tech Tool Pro's eDrive, or either of my SuperDuper!, bootable backups, or back again to the internal SSD (this has been the case for both of my Macs). And before I forget, I want to thank Pasquanel for his encouragement. On one of those other threads, he stated:

"Mine was about the same at first but once it settles in it boots right up.
Initially, I would hear the bootup tone and it would take 30/40 seconds before the Apple symbol would appear and then about 45 seconds to boot.
Give it a chance it works great."

Well, that is definitely accurate! The initial start up times are still not as fast as it was with Sierra, but I can see the improvement.

Two other things that I feel have helped are 1) about 3 weeks ago, I increased the Ram inside my Mac Mini from 4 to 8 gig (got a good price for 8 gb of Ram from OWC), and 2) last week, Best Buy had a one day sale on mid 2017 Mac Book Airs, and I bought one with the 252 gig SSD and 8 gig of Ram. Both machines are definitely more responsive, and it is very evident when I use Google Chrome. (A new version of Google Chrome did arrive early last week, so maybe that helped also).

I am hoping these start up/switching times keep improving. Meanwhile, of course, I will continue to do my daily disk clean up, and my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs takes (using Onyx and Tech Tool Pro), and backups (with SuperDuper!).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good to hear it actually finally works, sort of...

A word to video pros...most of the experts I consult regularly still recommend against upgrading from Sierra, whether you're an Avid jock, an Adobe CC user, or an FCPX cutter. Far too many conflicts with features and plugins to make it worthwhile, for now at least. Consult Larryjordan.com or Creative Cow for more details.

Ask a Question