Belt & braces approach

Reaction score
Since getting my mac computers I have been backing up to a Time Capsule. Due to being a bit paranoid over losing data I have stared a trial of Carbon Copy Cloner which will 'back up' to a separate external drive.
The Time Capsule backs up hourly and I currently have the Carbon Copy Cloner set to run daily.
Is this approach overkill or is it better to have 2 methods of backup?
I have been using PC's since the '80s and have not yet lost any serious data, but I do like to know that should the worst happen I will be covered.
Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong at all with having two methods of backing up. In fact, it is a safe approach. I suspect you know that a backup made with Carbon Copy Cloner is bootable. It is also a wise idea to perform disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on a periodic basis, so that the backups are "clean". There are some excellent free and commercial tools that can help you with that.

By the way, are you doing those backups for both machines?

Reaction score
By the way, are you doing those backups for both machines?

Yes, the iMac and MacBook both backup to the Time Capsule and each back up to their own individual external drive.

I suspect you know that a backup made with Carbon Copy Cloner is bootable

Yes, one of the reasons I am trying the software out.

It is also a wise idea to perform disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs on a periodic basis, so that the backups are "clean"
I will look at doing a 'clean up'

Thanks for the input