Back to the basics

Reaction score
Bit of a daft question, but do Macs have the equivlent of Windows' cut command?

I can figure copy and paste OK, but whenever I want to move a file I always seem to end up copying it to its new location and then having to go back and delete the original

Also, is there any was of getting copy and paste to be CTRL + C and CTRL + V rather than APPLE + C and APPLE + V as I find that key combination a bit awkward?

Finally, is the a delete right key on a Powerbook? At the moment I have to postion the curser on the right had side of the text to be deletes and delete left when opten it would be quicker to just be able to delete right?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

yes, command + x will do 'cut'....

If you want to change how the CTRL and Command (Apple) keys work you can do it via System Prefs-->Keyboard & Mouse-->Keyboard Tab-->then click on modifier keys you can then swap keys around...

As far as I am aware on all newer PowerBooks there is no delete key (in the context that you mean) there is only a 'backspace key'.

Depending on the software that you are using, sometimes pressing 'shift delete' will delete to the right of the cursor...this works in TextWrangler ! In other software it's option delete, command delete etc.

regards

Ric

Attachments

• System Preferences001.jpg
    System Preferences001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 465
  • System Preferences002.jpg
    System Preferences002.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 477

Ric

Reaction score
fn + backspace seems to work in the Finder to delete 'right'

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thand for the info re the modify keys, I hadn't spotted that.

The cut thing is a bit puzzling. It obviously works in the likes of Safari and Mail, which made my question seem a bit daft, but the only place I'd really tried to use it was in Finder, where it seems to be permanantly greyed out. I was trying to cut and paste files between directories rather than copy and paste and then go back and delete.

Also, in Windows, I'm used to the Home and End keys moving the cursor to the start or end of a line of text. I assume the diagonal arrows on the Mac keyboard are meant to do the same but they doen't seem to work.

Sorry for the basic questions but after using Mac for a good few months now I'm just trying to iron out some remaining niggles

Ric

Reaction score
oops missed this !

The Page, End and Home Keys will work as you want you just have to press the fn (function Key) and then the relevant one, otherwise it will work as a cursor Key...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Having key problems again :-(

In Finder I'm trying to select a sequential group of files (photos in the Pictures folder) and the shift key just seems to act like the Apple key
If I want to select the first 6 files the clicking the first file and then shift clicking the sixth file just results in those two files being selected rather then the six files being selected.

I've tried re-setting the Modifier keys and the Keyboard Shortcuts back to their default settings but I'm still having no joy

Any ideas?

Regards

Mike

PS - This is on a 15" Powerbook running 10.4.4

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

I presume you are doing this on a window thats being viewed as a "List"...

Can you give us a screen grab of the window ?

I can't "not" get it to work, if you see what I mean...what you are doing is correct.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I'm at work at the moment but will try again tonight and get a grab.

Thinking about it some more...

Using shift to select a range of files works OK in the likes of Photomechanic or Adobe Bridge, but using shift to select the same range of photos in Finder just selects the clicked on photos. This behavior is the same on my PowerBook and iMac

I don't know about the "List" view, I think they're just icons, which is how I normally view my files. Will check tonight.

Regards

Mike

Reaction score
Hmmm

Shift clicking seems to work fine in List view, but not in icon view. Seems a bit of an odd way of doing things :-(

Ask a Question