Automator Help - using variable in folder path

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of Automator and am wondering if it is possible to set up the following automation:

I have a "To File" folder in Dropbox where I dump all signed documents I receive from a client. I run Hazel to rename the files using my standard naming convention, which looks like this: YYYY-MM-DD Document Title - Client Name.

Also in my Dropbox, I have a "Client Matters" folder, which has a subfolder for each client (the variable). Each client folder has further subfolders (these subfolders are the same for all clients), so it looks something like this: Client Matters > [Variable Client Name] > Documents > Signed Documents

What I would like to do is tell Hazel: once you've finished renaming a file, run an Automator workflow. The Automator workflow would then take the Client Name from the file name that Hazel just renamed, find that Client Name in my Client Matters folder and drop the file into the appropriate Subfolder. The subfolder the file would be going into will always have the same name, but the client name in the path will be different.

The issue I'm running into is that I can't figure out how to tell Automator to move my file into a folder path that looks like this:

Dropbox > Client Matters > [Variable Client Name - taken from the file name] > Documents > Signed Documents.

Any thoughts or insights (as dumbed down as possible) would be greatly appreciated!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I am not well-versed in Automator/AppleScript. There are a few members here that may chime in. Or, you can try the folks over at MacScripter.

C

Ask a Question