Are iVolume adjustments made in iTunes active in Apple Music?

Reaction score
The songs in my iTunes library have been adjusted with iVolume in OS Mojave. When I use Apple Music in OS Catalina on a new MacBook will the adjustments made in iTunes be active on the songs in my Apple Music library? Thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

If you are upgrading your current OS, those adjustments should transfer when Catalina converts them to the new Music app. If you perform a migration to another Mac, I believe they should as well, since those adjustments are stored in the metadata in your iTunes Library.

I can't answer with 100% probability, but it should work.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

If you are upgrading your current OS, those adjustments should transfer when Catalina converts them to the new Music app. If you perform a migration to another Mac, I believe they should as well, since those adjustments are stored in the metadata in your iTunes Library.

C

I understand. I see that all my iTunes library .AIFF files are now AAC files in my Apple Music library. Can you tell me what this means (i.e., is the quality different, is the size different, etc)? Or would you say it's not a big deal !!

Reaction score
Differences between AIFF & AAC explained here
Thank you. Without taking this thread into the direction of why Apple Music has replaced my AIFF files, my original post has now evolved: if I prefer to have my AIFF files in Apple Music instead of the substituted AAC files is there a way to get them back (preferably all at once)?

Reaction score
Hello,

C
Here is the "Info" for a song in my Apple Music library. The File tab shows "Volume: -1.7 dB". On my older MacBook running OS Mojave, the same song in iTunes is an AIFF file and shows "Volume: -1.4 dB. Can you tell me why is there a difference? Thank you.
info_details.jpg

info_file.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

My thought would be that it may have to do with the iVolume adjustment. Honestly, I would contact iVolume support and see if they have come across this issue, as I am not familiar with iVolume.

I did see this in the iVolume FAQ on their website:

Help, iVolume 3.8.0 lost all my fancy settings and previous analyzation results!
For the Music app on macOS Catalina iVolume for Mac had to change the way how it reads the music library. Furthermore iVolume always supported multiple libraries and differences them by an identifier. However, by using the new method to read the libraries, all identifiers have changed, so iVolume sees “new” libraries since version 3.8.0.
If you are an advanced user, you can rename your old file containing your previous settings and results to the name of the new one. The files are stored in
~/Library/Application Support/de.ivolume.mac/de.ivolume.IDENTIFIER.plist
You may look at their modification dates to identify the right ones. Please quit iVolume before making these modifications.

Let us know what they say,

C

Reaction score
Hello,

My thought would be that it may have to do with the iVolume adjustment. Honestly, I would contact iVolume support and see if they have come across this issue, as I am not familiar with iVolume.

I did see this in the iVolume FAQ on their website:

Help, iVolume 3.8.0 lost all my fancy settings and previous analyzation results!
For the Music app on macOS Catalina iVolume for Mac had to change the way how it reads the music library. Furthermore iVolume always supported multiple libraries and differences them by an identifier. However, by using the new method to read the libraries, all identifiers have changed, so iVolume sees “new” libraries since version 3.8.0.
If you are an advanced user, you can rename your old file containing your previous settings and results to the name of the new one. The files are stored in
~/Library/Application Support/de.ivolume.mac/de.ivolume.IDENTIFIER.plist
You may look at their modification dates to identify the right ones. Please quit iVolume before making these modifications.

Let us know what they say,

C
I agree that it is a difficult question for you to answer but unfortunately I have never had any luck with their customer support. I have been following a thread on another Mac Forum and there seems to be a lot of confusion about using iVolume with OS Catalina not to mention all the problems discussed on the Apple Community Forum regarding using the new Apple Music. As I continue to try to make the transition from iTunes to Apple Music, a better question for now would be: Is the Info/File/volume number (in Db) always there for songs in a library or only when Sound Check is enabled in Preferences (in both Apple Music and iTunes)? Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't use Sound Check on my Macs, but the songs in my iTunes Library do have the volume adjustment present. From my understanding, iVolume has its own algorithm for volume adjustment, which is why you see that in the comments section of your first screenshot. Not sure what the default setting would be from iTunes alone. Also, from the info in their FAQ, it sounds like iVolume stores its adjustments in its own plist file.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

I don't use Sound Check on my Macs, but the songs in my iTunes Library do have the volume adjustment present. From my understanding, iVolume has its own algorithm for volume adjustment, which is why you see that in the comments section of your first screenshot. Not sure what the default setting would be from iTunes alone. Also, from the info in their FAQ, it sounds like iVolume stores its adjustments in its own plist file.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

C
That's OK. I'm learning about some of the intricacies of the iTunes and Apple Music applications that I had never paid attention to before.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Let us know if you have additional questions or find an answer/solution.

C

Ask a Question