Apps won't open after update

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Macbook with Mac OS 10.6.8
Yesterday when I tried using Google Chrome it wasn't working properly. It opens but then stops working after a few seconds. After this I realized that Iphoto, Itunes, Neoffice, etc won't even open! When I try to open them I immediately get an "Itunes unexpectedly closed" message.
I think I may have done an update recently. Didn't pay attention to what was changed...
Can anybody help me???

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

Not 100% sure as its a long time since I have used OS X SL, but in system preferences think there was a software updater, click that and you should be able to see all your updates.

Reaction score
Hi.
Thank you for your answer oldscribe.
I did as you suggested and checked my updates list. On the 15th of July I installed the "security update 2013-003". This seems to be the cause of my problem.
Do you know how to fix it?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not aware of an option to rollback an update to the operating system. But possibly using a time machine backup prior to the update would work.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
One suggestion would be to download that security update 2013-003 from the apple website and install it again ... that sometimes helps with issues arising from updates done through the regular channel i.e.: Software Update.

Here's the download link

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer Spawn-Dooley. I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.
I'm starting to think that I will be forced to reinstall MacOS... What do you think?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
You could try downloading this:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

Then, run Software Update until all updates are completed and installed. When done, use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions and restart. Check the apps only after performing all these steps.

C

Reaction score
Just tried your suggestion, Cory Cooper.
Still not working... This is just weird...
I think I'm getting ready to give up, update my backups and reinstall MacOs...

Reaction score
Could we just confirm what Apps now don't open before you restore from the backup.
Is all really ALL, check your Applications Folder...

Ask a Question