Applications issues!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
My first time ever posting on a forum - I KNOW!!! - so, hope I've come through to the right place!
I'm on an iMac and have got issues when I open the Application folder - several applications pop up onto the desktop like they want to be installed and when I try to clear them (right click and chuck in Trash) they just pop back up again... It kinda looks like virus behavior??? Seems to have been happening since I installed JustCloud...
Any help would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
There are no Virus on OSX, there are a handful of Trojans, but none do what you ar seeing.

Are you using your iMac from an Admin Account?

Have you done a full restart?

Reaction score
Yes I am using from an Admin Acc. and tried a full restart.
I've just tried it again and it appears to be the same software each time, not all in my Applications folder and doesn't seem to be a random choice - same ones and three pop up as the installer dmg.'s and the others as the software icons (that look like a disc - sorry, I don't know the proper jargon, but will try best to explain...)
Just to confirm, to uninstall software, do I just drag into Trash, i.e. like something off the dock?

Reaction score
Yes I am using from an Admin Acc.
Thats not good!

Just to confirm, to uninstall software
That depends on what the Software is if you've installed it in an Admin account it may have install stuff in all manner of places.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Just to confirm, to uninstall software, do I just drag into Trash, i.e. like something off the dock?

Some apps come with a dedicated uninstaller which must be used to properly uninstall all the little bits spread throughout your system while the rest can be dragged from the Applications folder into the Trash if you want to uninstall them.

As for apps that reside in the Dock, the icons you click on there to launch an app are really just shortcuts to the main app so if you remove an apps icon from the Dock you aren't uninstalling it just deleting the alias.

Reaction score
Thank you for all the help! This whole exercise has been REALLY helpful. And I think I've solved it - I got ruthless and got rid of a load of stuff in Applications that wasn't needed, think I'd been hanging onto too many old .dmg and the prob no longer seems to be happening (touch wood!).
Thanks again

Ask a Question