Applications dont appear in Time Machine

Reaction score
My Mac mini (Late 2014) is running macOS Monterey Version 12.6.1. The Applications folder contains 71 items. Recently I happened to notice that the Time Machine display for the same folder only contains 35 items. Some of the items in the Macintosh HD version but NOT in the Time Machine version include App Store.app, Automator.app, Books.app, Calculator.app, Calendar.app, Chess.app, Contacts.app and there are many more. Is this normal? Would I be able to restore my system from Time Machine given this seeming discrepancy?

Reaction score
My Mac mini (Late 2014) is running macOS Monterey Version 12.6.1. The Applications folder contains 71 items. Recently I happened to notice that the Time Machine display for the same folder only contains 35 items. Some of the items in the Macintosh HD version but NOT in the Time Machine version include App Store.app, Automator.app, Books.app, Calculator.app, Calendar.app, Chess.app, Contacts.app and there are many more. Is this normal? Would I be able to restore my system from Time Machine given this seeming discrepancy?
You are probably looking at a snapshot folder. Those files are cumulative, as you will notice, the oldest snapshot folder will have a lot more content. My Applications folder contains 284 items, and a number of those “items” are folders which contain even more individual items. But when I look inside my latest Time Machine snapshot folder, there are less than a dozen items—only the ones that were modified since the last backup. Nothing to worry about. That’s how TM works.

Reaction score
You are probably looking at a snapshot folder. Those files are cumulative, as you will notice, the oldest snapshot folder will have a lot more content. My Applications folder contains 284 items, and a number of those “items” are folders which contain even more individual items. But when I look inside my latest Time Machine snapshot folder, there are less than a dozen items—only the ones that were modified since the last backup. Nothing to worry about. That’s how TM works.
Thanks. Not looking at folders but at the display that appears when you select 'Enter Time Machine'.

Reaction score
Thanks. Not looking at folders but at the display that appears when you select 'Enter Time Machine'.
Do you have the Applications folder open and active when you launch the Time Machine app? Or maybe you are looking in your Applications folder (~/Applications) instead of (/Applications)?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have the Applications folder open and active when you launch the Time Machine app? Or maybe you are looking in your Applications folder (~/Applications) instead of (/Applications)?
Thanks. Found the answer on this link

Ask a Question