Apple Mail not bringing new emails to my In box

Reaction score
My MacBook continues to handle my Gmail fine; new mail comes into the my Apple Mail In box. But my Airbook has stopped showing new mail in the In box. Oddly, it is still accepting new Junk mail. And I find that I can move the occasional email that isn't really Junk from that box to my In box. But I can't get any other new email. I have turned the Airbook off and on several times. I have brought up Gmail on Safari several times, and it is ok there. But nothing seems to make it show new email, except for new Junk mail. Thanks for your help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?

It sounds like you may have the email account setup as POP instead of IMAP on the MacBook Air. Check in Mail > Preferences... > Accounts and see if it says POP or IMAP under the account name in the list on the left-hand side..

C

Reaction score
Thanks. I had killed out about 40,000 or 50,000 emails shortly before it stopped showing new mail in the in box, and I think it took a couple of weeks of on and off to get them dumped. It finally recovered last night - as mysteriously as it had disappeared. But it was odd that it continued to accept and show junk mail (in the junk box)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That amount of email is far beyond the recommended amount to keep in your inbox. It is best to keep your inbox as lean as possible...never more than a few hundred if possible.

The issue was caused by the number of emails, because when you start the Mail app, it connects to the server to compare/verify/cache the emails on your Mac. That many could cause it to either fail its sync with the email server, or take several hours to actually complete its sync. It may also have cleared itself after all of the emails you deleted were finally purged from the server itself. Depending on settings, deleted mail can take anywhere from a day to a month to actually be automatically purged/removed from the server.

I am glad to hear it is fixed. Let us know if you have additional questions.

C

Ask a Question