Anyone want a G3?

Reaction score
I have an iMac G3 in Ruby Red which was working until recently (OS 9.2) but when I switch on now it goes clunk and goes off without loading OS. I could do with the space so if anyone wants it for spares or repair and can collect from N. Birmingham( UK)[EMAIL="(e-mail address removed)"[/EMAIL], they can have it for free. I'm too fond of it to take it to the tip!

Reaction score
Sadly thats about all you can do. If it doesn't chime than its beyond help.

Reaction score
Thanks Kaveman - I had a horrible feeling that this was the case. I'll probably shed a few tears at the tip! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.

Reaction score
Hi again - I just tried the G3 again and it chimes now! I had a grey screen with a smilie in the middle and then a message to say it had not shut down properly previously and would check the hard drive which it did for a few seconds then said it had found an error and promptly closed down and refuses to restart. I will leave it to recover for the night and try again tomorrow ; otherwise it is back to plan A - the tip. PS Have just ordered my new iMac from Apple, can't wait for new model!

Reaction score
Sounds like the Harddrive is failing.

27"??? I'm waiting for a 27"... ... ...

Reaction score
Yes, I think it probably is, so I will say goodbye to my trusty little friend. Nope, 21.5" - I have tunnel vision! Ha ha. Using 17'' G5 which is plenty big enough for me so 21.5 will feel quite OK. It has 4gb memory, 1TB h/d, 2.7Ghz IntelCore iS and is a Refurb by Apple - I believe that refurbs are better as ALL components are checked and tested. Always found them very reliable. No doubt new model will be dearer too. Guessing it wlll have Retina display????

Reaction score
Oh, it will be a wow step forward...

Guessing it wlll have Retina display????
not on the desktops. Better but not retina.

It took me a while but I'm right at home on my 27" so couldn't go back.

Reaction score
In a way I'm dreading having to get used to new OS and all the new Apps; Tiger was so simple and easy. Will close now as 10.08 PM here .

Ask a Question