All Files Deleted Off Desktop

Reaction score
Hello.

All my files have been deleted off my desktop. There used to be ~260 GB free on my computer and now its ~315 GB. I was answering an email earlier today and couldn’t find the attachment. I went to look at my desktop and it was blank.

I spent two hours on the phone with AppleCare/Genius Bar. They had me check if all my files were in iCloud (they weren’t), restart the computer (all that did was reset my toolbar, weirdly); and try one or two things in terminal. None of this worked. Is there anything I can do to save my files?

I have a backup that is good for everything until about two weeks ago, so that’s good, but I still am missing loads of files from the last two weeks. I’m also currently running a diskdrill 3.8 recovery to see if it can find the documents. Any input would be appreciated.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like you may have been using iCloud Drive > Desktop & Documents syncing? If so, and those files are no longer appearing on your Mac or iCloud itself, then you would need to restore them from your backup.

Honestly, I would continue to work with Apple, as we would hate to cause you to lose any additional data. I doubt that DiskDrill will find anything, especially if you have been using the computer since the files disappeared.

C

Ask a Question