All Apple software and Google Chrome failing to work online but Tor working perfectly

RsR

Reaction score
Hello,

This is a very strange problem appeared from nowhere. Everything was working perfectly normal on Saturday. Went to use the laptop Sunday and Safari wouldn't load any website I tried. Tried Chrome and it was the same, Check the App Store to make sure everything was up to date but that wouldn't load/connect either. iTunes is the same as well. Then I tried Tor Browser and that works perfectly which rules out any hardware issues as far as I know.
I've tried other laptops/phones and they all work fine so it is not a wifi/network issue. I double checked this by using my phone as a hotspot but its the same end result.
I have gone through all the basics (untick the auto proxy box in the wifi settings, reboot, clear all old internet files, etc.) but nothing seems to work.

Its very strange and frustrating. My only line of communication on my laptop is through the Tor Browser so access to some websites is blocked. (eg: Apple support)

I'm at work now using my work laptop so any suggestions in the next 8 hours will have to wait until I get home.

Please help.

Stuart

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds as if the Tor browser, or something else, may have changed your network/DNS/proxy settings. Since the Tor browser "covers your tracks" and enables anonymous web browsing, look in  > System Preferences... > Network > Wi-Fi, click Advanced..., then look at the DNS tab and the Proxies tab for anything out of the ordinary.

C

RsR

Reaction score
Hey Cory. That seems to have solved it thankfully. I don't understand how the Tor would have changed the settings as I haven't used it since I was last working in the middle east in May.
Anyways, problem sorted. Thanks for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad it's sorted.

It may be part of the way that Tor works - it routes your Internet traffic through a proxy server, which then routes through more proxies to secure your identity and browser trail.

C

Ask a Question