Airport Time Capsule USB SSd's setup and use

Reaction score
Airport time capsule 2TB (router and usb for additional Hard disk’s) Airport time Capsule

I have an iMac and a 2TB Airport time Capsule, WiFi, a laptop and several Apple Devices. I am utilizing a good portion of my Time Capsule to the Time machine Backups. My iMac also has a 1TB internal hard disk. I also have three other external hard disks. A 1TB SSD, .5 TB SSD and a 2Tb Seagate (relegated to the MS side of my setup). What I want to do is be able to see my 2 SSD’s and address them directly. I have tried to use an alias, assign an Icon and use them just as I would use my internal HD and my Airport Time capsule. I can see my SSD’d when in finder looking at my Airport Time Capsule. I just can’t seen to get it organized. I have a 5 port powered USB hub. Not only having a problems with the alias but volumes don’t like easy icons. I need advice on how to set up the 2 ssd’s and give then an icon that I can see in finder under devices. I would appreciate any advise you may offer.

At this time I can see and reach the two SSD by opening the times machine. Thats not what I want. I want an Icon on desktop and be able to see them in finder.

I also want to see the backup in the time machine, can’t now.

Also I want to see those three resented on the storage tab. Now its only the internal HD and a USB flash drive i use to store Data and then take it elsewhere for safety.

billwhit1

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Let's clarify the situation first, then address the question.

Your Setup
-iMac with 1TB internal HD
-Time Capsule 2TB HD over Wi-Fi
-5 port powered USB hub
-1TB SSD
-500GB SSD
-2TB Seagate HD (MS/Windows)

Questions
-How/where are the three external drives connected - to the Time Capsule or directly to the iMac/USB hub?
-What version of OS X?
Which model/version of Time Capsule
-What do you mean by MS side of my setup - are you using Boot Camp or Parallels/Fusion with Windows? Or do you have a PC as well as your iMac?

-To see devices in the Storage section or on the Desktop in Finder, they need to be connected directly to the iMac.
-If the SSDs only show via Time Machine, then they are connected via the USB port on the Time Capsule, correct?
-Disk Sharing via a Time Capsule can be somewhat flaky, especially if there are multiple disks.

C

Reaction score
The SSD's are being seen in finder by opening the Airport time machine. They are there and I can i/o from them but I want the up where Devices are and separated. I want to name them there. When the are there I want to assign an Icon to them.
I have had several times to want to view a specific backup in finder. When I click on the time Machine I do not see the backups. I know they are there as I can use the Time Machine app (on the uppermost bar) as I need a specific backup.
The time Machine Capsule seems to not want to give info in finder.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
So, the SSDs are connected directly to the Time Capsule then, correct? There isn't a way to have them show under Devices, as that is for drives and such that are directly connected to the Mac. They should show in the Shared section of the Finder window. If you click on the name of the Time Capsule, they should show as Connected Servers - if you have disk sharing turned on in Airport Utility > Time Capsule > Disks > Enable file sharing. If they are not shared, or setup as additional Time capsule/Time Machine disks, they won't appear as above.

C

Ask a Question