SOLVED Adding Ram cards

Reaction score
I have
Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 11.26.42 PM.jpg

I have 2 8GB Ram cards to upgrade with but I'm afraid to install them. Warnings about static charges and that sort of thing. Is that really a problem? I was thinking to discharge any static by holding the water pipes and walking only on bare floors and wearing latex gloves. I'm a regular Leyden Jar sometimes.

Am I overworried? Can I just take the 4 Gb ones out and install the 8 ones safely without much concern? I have routine Time Machine backups on an external drive. Hardware is not my best subject.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It is best to have a grounding strap on your wrist connected to a ground. But, I have replaced a lot of RAM without one. Just make sure you discharge yourself, and aren't on carpet. A table on a hard surface floor should suffice. No need for the latex gloves either really.

The more worrisome part are the tools required and actual steps it takes for that model, as it is a moderately involved process:

Mac mini Late 2018 Memory (RAM) Replacement

C

Reaction score
Upgrading RAM used to be one of the easiest upgrades

On my old Macbook I can exchange batteries in about ten seconds, literally.

Let's all chip in together and buy up all the Apple stock so we can do a hostile takeover and stop all this silly "improvement" business. I got $45, what can you guys put in the pot? :)

Reaction score
I have about $14 Billion dollars ( dependent on exchange rates), but that still leaves us well short of what is required :cool:

Reaction score
I had a tech guy do it. Took him 2 hours. Best $259 I ever spent. I couldn't have done it myself in a month. I didn't even have the screw tools needed...

Ask a Question