Accessing data on my USB

Reaction score
I've just bought a new MacBook Pro which no longer has a standard USB port. I have just used a connector to connect my USB and got the error message “NO NAME” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

I can't access files I need to transfer onto my new macbook and there is no eject symbol, so I have to just take it out.

Why will my macbook not recognise my memory stick? Ironically I had copied the files from an old macbook!!

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
So you used either a USB-C to USB-A or a USB-A to USB-C cable?

When the USB drive is connected & you open a Finder window, does the drive show up in the Sidebar under Devices?

Reaction score
I don't know what type of USB stick it is, but would describe it as standard.
When I plug it in, the drive shows as NO NAME in the sidebar, but does not show the ejection symbol.
When I click on the drive, I get the error message “NO NAME” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found."
I was able to use the USB stick on the MacBook Air and have copied the files into my iCloud Drive, so now have them, but am worried that I am now disconnected from the world. Will any USB work? Will I be able to plug anything into my MacBook?
I did charge my phone using the USB port adapter, so I know it is not the adapter that is the problem

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Have you rebooted the MBP?

Do you have another user account on your MBP to log into to see if the drive properly mounts?

Reaction score
My problem with the USB-A giving an error message of “NO NAME” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found." When I tried to use it is now resolved.
I had to reset the System Management Centre.
Do this by:
If the battery is nonremovable:
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
    If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
  3. Release all keys.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
If the battery is removable:
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Remove the battery. If you need help removing the battery, contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store.
  3. Press and hold the power button for five seconds.
  4. Reinstall the battery.
  5. Press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Ask a Question