9 & X

Reaction score
Good Evening!.. New to the forum, don`t know if this has been posted, sorry! I Have just bought a G4 450Mhz ruunning OS X 10.2. What do I have to do to have both OS9 and OSX in this same G4? (Not the classic option on the X but the whole systems) How can I do it? Is there like a tutorial posted someplace here? Can it be configured like I have seen some people doit with Windows & Linux (Selecting wich system boots)? I dont want to loose the ability to use the X for everything, specially when I only need the 9 for 1 (Sonic Studio HD 1.9)application.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Manuel Amengual

Reaction score
hi..
it is very easy..
try to get the origenal system CDs. it is inclodes the system 9.2.2 and it's to run from system 10.x (mostly tel 10.3.9)
what you need to do .. install the system and it will run through system 10 it self. go to sys. pref and select system 9 folder and mark it.. you can select your option there
by the way system 9 will be in the additional software disks not in the system 10 disks

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Ahmed, I'm still not sure how should it be done, I have to find the way to know how to do it in detail. I have the OS9 cds but don't know quite how should i do this, but thanks againg for leaving the only reply here.

Manuel

Reaction score
alsadr: that's classic you're talking about, "running OS 9 from within X"

Manuel: If you have a "real" 9.2 disc (meaning, not one that can only install classic), just install it beside OS X, i don't know how 9.2 handles the journalling feature that OS X added to the file system, but if the drive is formatted in plain HFS+ (also known as Extend HFS) it should work smoothly, OS X can even use that same system folder for its classic environment should you decide to use that later for some reason. You can use the "Startup Disc" panel in either OS 9 system preferences folder (I think it may be called) or in OS X system preferences to switch which should boot the next time you start or restart the computer.

To boot from the OS 9 disc to install the system, insert the disc, reboot and hold C during the whole boot until the "Welcome to Mac OS 9" screen pops up.