80 gig hard drive is to small

Reaction score
Ok you clever folks can you help me . I have an 80 gig hard drive on my mac book . most of this is full with tv shows and music . I am aware of the prefrence thing in itunes and it needing to know were your stuff is . I do own a usb hard drive that it use's for time machine . can some one tell me how i can copy or tell itunes where to look . I have tryed this once it did not go well Thanks si

Reaction score
Go to Preferences in iTunes, and go to Advanced and select the General tab. From there, with your USB drive mounted on the desktop, you can change the iTunes library location to there.

There are various ways to copy the music over. the way I did this was to delete all of the tunes from the iTunes library (but NOT send them to the trash when prompted) and then go to Preferences, Advanced and select Copy music to library when adding.

I then went to File > Add to Library and selected my library on the internal drive. Once the copying was completed (you'll want to check on your external drive that the files copied over!!!) I erased my internal drive's library.

Be aware that you must have the USB drive plugged in before launching iTunes, or else iTunes will revert to the original internal drive location until it is closed. This can lead to duplicated files and general file location confusion!

J

Ask a Question