27" iMac switches to internal speakers when waking up...

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just bought a refurb'ed late 2015 27" Retina iMac, and I'm seeing it switch to the internal speakers every time it wakes up...I use the Headphone jack for my external speakers, and when I restart, the computer recognizes the Headphone jack...wake it up, and it switches to the internal speakers and the only way to get back to the Headphone jack is to restart - which is not ideal.

Anyone here familiar with this, and know how to solve it?

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
unplug the headphones, goto system preferences> sound and mute the speakers, plug in the headphones and you are good to go.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Runner...but unfortunately, that didn't do the trick...but I appreciate the response...
It has been a while since I did this, so I will check the process, but it is working for me on two 2015 imacs, a 2008 imac and a 2014 MacBook Air

Reaction score
thanks again runner...so, I'm running Catalina at the moment...if this workaround seems to work for you, which macOS are you running on your 2015 iMac?

I'm wondering if upgrading to Big Sur or Monterey might help...

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just bought a refurb'ed late 2015 27" Retina iMac, and I'm seeing it switch to the internal speakers every time it wakes up...I use the Headphone jack for my external speakers, and when I restart, the computer recognizes the Headphone jack...wake it up, and it switches to the internal speakers and the only way to get back to the Headphone jack is to restart - which is not ideal.

Anyone here familiar with this, and know how to solve it?

Thank you in advance
This might sound silly, but what is your selected Output in System Preferences / Sound?

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 19.05.44.png

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Tony A, ( yes, maybe a little silly, lol)...
Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 4.35.44 AM.png
still in the same boat, sound-wise...restart the computer, we get this...it recognizes the Headphone jack and I can use my external speakers...it goes to sleep (regardless of how long that is - 1 minute or 6 hours) and upon waking up, she likes to switch to the Built-in speakers...only way to get her to 'see' the Headphone jack again is to restart her...I don't know...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Tony A, ( yes, maybe a little silly, lol)...View attachment 4163still in the same boat, sound-wise...restart the computer, we get this...it recognizes the Headphone jack and I can use my external speakers...it goes to sleep (regardless of how long that is - 1 minute or 6 hours) and upon waking up, she likes to switch to the Built-in speakers...only way to get her to 'see' the Headphone jack again is to restart her...I don't know...
What puzzles me is that your headphone port is not on the output list of devices. It has been a while since I worked on an iMac and I can’t recall if there was indeed a physical headphone port, but I would assume that it has to have one. Maybe a hardware issue?

I make a point of downloading the latest copy of macOS installer, or the newest combo update. Whenever “weird” things come up with the Mac, I usually resort to reinstalling/updating the system software. If you don’t have the installer file, you can reinstall using Recovery. It will default to the newest version that your Mac can run, so you cannot really pick and choose which version gets reinstalled.

I need to have the newest installers/combos because my Mac has four attached macOS SSD drives, Mojave to Monterey, two of the latter, current and beta versions.

Reaction score
What puzzles me is that your headphone port is not on the output list of devices. It has been a while since I worked on an iMac and I can’t recall if there was indeed a physical headphone port, but I would assume that it has to have one. Maybe a hardware issue?

I make a point of downloading the latest copy of macOS installer, or the newest combo update. Whenever “weird” things come up with the Mac, I usually resort to reinstalling/updating the system software. If you don’t have the installer file, you can reinstall using Recovery. It will default to the newest version that your Mac can run, so you cannot really pick and choose which version gets reinstalled.

I need to have the newest installers/combos because my Mac has four attached macOS SSD drives, Mojave to Monterey, two of the latter, current and beta versions.
What puzzles me is that your headphone port is not on the output list of devices

Hey Tony, actually, it is...

I posted both images - one when the iMac displays the Headphones port, and the one when it only displays the Built-in speakers, after it wakes up. Yes, this 2015 iMac has a physical Headphone port...it arrived with Catalina running, which I reinstalled once to see if that might solve it..then I upgraded to Big Sur, which is running on it currently.I'll have to check again for any updates...I guess I could go to Monterey, but I'm thinking that is not the issue here...

thanks again for your time

Reaction score
What puzzles me is that your headphone port is not on the output list of devices

Hey Tony, actually, it is...

I posted both images - one when the iMac displays the Headphones port, and the one when it only displays the Built-in speakers, after it wakes up. Yes, this 2015 iMac has a physical Headphone port...it arrived with Catalina running, which I reinstalled once to see if that might solve it..then I upgraded to Big Sur, which is running on it currently.I'll have to check again for any updates...I guess I could go to Monterey, but I'm thinking that is not the issue here...

thanks again for your time
Okay, I missed the one screenshot with the Headphones port, but that example shows the Bluetooth port selected. Did you click on Headphones to select it? Both show Bluetooth selected.

Ask a Question