2007 Apple Aluminum KB + Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Reaction score
I just got an iMac MB324LL/A with a 2007 Apple Aluminum KB with a wire. Just before the Mac chime I press "Command +S" but my desktop comes up, same with "Command+R". Since my install of Mountain Lion is 10.8.5, to run the Apple Hardware Test, I have to press "d" to access the Test online (I am using Firefox as my default browser) but again my desktop comes up. When I revert to a previous KB that came with my iMac MA200LL/A, I can accomplish both Command +S, Command+R but not the Apple hardware test. Why won't the 2007 Aluminum KB perform these functions? In the case of the AHT, must I make Safari my default browser just for this task? Why can't Apple offer the AHT as a separate piece of software that I can install on my current iMac? Thanks for your assistance, Ken.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be partly that the Apple Aluminum Keyboard is faulty, or one of the Command keys isn't working.

-Have you tried both Command keys?
-Have you tried pressing the keys immediately after pressing the power button - screen is still black, before they gray screen?
-Do you have the gray install discs that came with your iMac?

AHT over the Internet should only be available on Macs that shipped with OS X Lion or later - 2011 iMacs. Older Macs have AHT on the second gray install disc that came with them, usually labeled Applications Install Disc 2.

Using Apple Hardware Test

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It could be partly that the Apple Aluminum Keyboard is faulty, or one of the Command keys isn't working.

-Have you tried both Command keys?
-Have you tried pressing the keys immediately after pressing the power button - screen is still black, before they gray screen?
-Do you have the gray install discs that came with your iMac?

AHT over the Internet should only be available on Macs that shipped with OS X Lion or later - 2011 iMacs. Older Macs have AHT on the second gray install disc that came with them, usually labeled Applications Install Disc 2.

Using Apple Hardware Test

C
Thanks Cory for your quick reply. I have another similar KB, shall try it again, but as I recall, the same situations occur with it. I shall also try the other Command key. I'll check again pressing the keys as soon as I press the power button. I bought this iMac from a computer techie in my area, although the install of Mountain Lion is legit because I can upgrade to El Capitan. I'll get back asap. Thanks, Ken.

Reaction score
Thanks Cory for your quick reply. I have another similar KB, shall try it again, but as I recall, the same situations occur with it. I shall also try the other Command key. I'll check again pressing the keys as soon as I press the power button. I bought this iMac from a computer techie in my area, although the install of Mountain Lion is legit because I can upgrade to El Capitan. I'll get back asap. Thanks, Ken.
Hi Cory, the situation is the same. I have an excellent Mac techie in town who I want to max out the Ram for me on this computer (4gigs to 6gigs), I'll ask him about this KB situation, he knows everything Mac, just thought I might fix this myself. Thanks again, Ken.

Reaction score
Hi Cory, the situation is the same. I have an excellent Mac techie in town who I want to max out the Ram for me on this computer (4gigs to 6gigs), I'll ask him about this KB situation, he knows everything Mac, just thought I might fix this myself. Thanks again, Ken.
Hey Cory, turns out that the KB is the problem. I have another 2007 KB, the functions are working. I'll get another KB from the techie where I got the computer. Thanks, Ken.

Ask a Question