Trash does not empty

Reaction score
I have a 500GB small hard disk which used to be the internal HD in a Mini. As such it had a System installed.
Then I decided to add an SSD as a system disk and use this formerly system HD as a data HD only.
For this I had to trash everything that was on it and wanted to reformat it.
This is not possible because a folder System and another Library can not be trashed because they are in use. I have tried renaming them as old System and old Library. No use.
How can I get rid of these 2 files and format the HD?
Help appreciated.

Reaction score
What you need to do is use Disk Utility to Erase and Format that external HD. Disk Utility is located within the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

By the way, how did you get the SSD set up to use as your primary device inside the machine?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, but that doesn't work. Disk Utility can not Erase the disk because it can not unmount it.

Answer to by the way:
1. get iFixit's kit & tools for installing a 2nd drive in the Mini.
2. be connected to the internet, then press alt-command-R and install from the Apple internet server a new System.
3. when asked where to install, choose the SSD
4. that will then be your startup disk

Reaction score
Does Disk Utility even "see" that external drive?

Also, how is it connected to your machine? If it's via USB, try another USB port, both on the external enclosure (if it has more than one), and on your Mac.

This link might help:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/06/14/resolve-a-couldnt-unmount-disk-error-in-disk-utility/

By the way, I did exactly what you did with my late 2012 Mac Mini, replaced the internal (slow) 5400 rpm 1 TB internal drive with a fast Samsung 840 Pro 256t gig SSD. I placed that 1 TB drive inside a nice, slim Orico external enclosure, and I had no issues Erasing and Formatting it. I did, though, go about getting the SSD ready in a different manner than you did. In fact, I did not need to use the (hidden) Recovery HD partition at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

Then I decided to add an SSD as a system disk and use this formerly system HD as a data HD only.
For this I had to trash everything that was on it and wanted to reformat it.
This is not possible because a folder System and another Library can not be trashed because they are in use.

Only way I can think of is to put the old hd into a caddy thus all its files will only be seen as data and not loaded files, thus the in use scenario should not happen and you should then be able to select all and delete.

As a little info a HDD caddy can replace the superdrive of the Mac Mini and will fit any 2.5" HDD or even SSD
well thats the theory.o_O

Reaction score
Hi,

Only way I can think of is to put the old hd into a caddy thus all its files will only be seen as data and not loaded files, thus the in use scenario should not happen and you should then be able to select all and delete.

As a little info a HDD caddy can replace the superdrive of the Mac Mini and will fit any 2.5" HDD or even SSD
well thats the theory.o_O

Actually, the part of the link I provided above, about using a Terminal Command to Unmount the drive, would be the way to go, as the op does not need anything currently on the drive. Here is the quote from that link:

"diskutil unmountDisk force /Volumes/DRIVENAME

Replace “DRIVENAME” with the name of the volume you want to unmount, then hit RETURN key to force the drive to unmount."

Of course, one is doing that from Terminal.

Ask a Question