Suspected Scam/spam

Reaction score
On a different email account I have I just received an email from "(e-mail address removed)" with an attached invoice. A heading on the message indicated some ridiculous amount that I know perfectly well I do not owe. I have removed the message to Trash on that account without, of course, opening the attachment. I rarely receive this type of message and am not sure what else I should do or whom I should notify re this. Do I just empty Trash? Has anybody else come across this?

Reaction score
The receipt of junk EMail (ie, Scam/spam) can happen with any EMail account. I have 3 such accounts: one on Comcast (my primary one), gmail, and hotmail. For all 3 of them I receive junk mail just about every day. For my Comcast account, I use Outlook 2016, and it's pretty good at detecting such crap, and diverting it to the Junk EMail folder. For gmail and hotmail, they do a pretty good job also. But, for all 3, there is still the occasional one that "slips" by, and winds up in my In Box.

There is no issue in just deleting it/emptying it from the Trash. I often wonder on gmail and hotmail if such deleted "stuff" gets permanently removed. For Outlook 2016, there is away of permanently removing deleted EMails, and I use it every time.

For one's primary EMail account (like the one I have with Comcast), one can purchase the excellent software SpamSieve (https://c-command.com/spamsieve/), and it can do a very effective job in diverting any incoming EMail to the appropriate Junk and/or Deleted Items folder.

Reaction score
Many thanks. The other account is a (basic) 1&1 account and it offers permanent deletion as it is primarily aimed at businesses. I use it for hosting a website designed for my former students and members of the public who have attended one of my lectures, and I have a small number of email addresses attached to it.

Reaction score
Many thanks. The other account is a (basic) 1&1 account and it offers permanent deletion as it is primarily aimed at businesses. I use it for hosting a website designed for my former students and members of the public who have attended one of my lectures, and I have a small number of email addresses attached to it.

Sounds good, and glad it is not an issue. (By the way, I used to be a part-time Mathematics instructor for 3 community colleges near where I live, so I hope your lecture activities go smooth!).

Ask a Question