Storage of pictures

Reaction score
Dear Helpers,
A question concerning how to save photo's.

When I download pictures from my camera onto my Mac I can find them on the internal harddisk under Users> [myname]>Pictures>Photos Library.photoslibrary. I then copy the (new) pictures into files under Documents. These files I create each contain a seperate event like holidays, family reunion, art expositions etc. I then start to fashion them from there.

My question: In proceeding like this, the collection of pictures apparently occupies twice the space needed. What should I (not) do?
  • Could I delete the pictures in the photoslibrary without consequences and thus save them only under Documents?
  • Or do you have better ideas about how to proceed?
Thanks for your answers!

Dirk

Reaction score
First, what does "I then start to fashion them from there" mean?

Secondly, confirm that they are actually saved to that other location/area.

Third, this is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If (hopefully) you are, what software do you use for that? And how often are you backing up?

Once you do that, it should be OK to delete them from the photos library.

Reaction score
How are you downloading the images from your camera?
I use the image capture app, which lets me decide where I want the images downloaded to, I also keep a backup of all my images on an external drive.

I would think it is safe to delete the images in the photo library. If you are not sure download a couple of test pictures, and copy them over in your normal fashion and the delete the photo library copy and see how that goes.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reactions!

To Honestone:
Yes, I expressed myself in a too compact way. I just want to explain that I shape, improve sharpness, move bad fotos to trash, etc using the pictures I stored under Documents (>Photos> etc.). In fact I still mostly use Picasa for that (but never go to internet from there!). Sometimes I use Google Photos' facilities for improving quality.

Yes, I save the 'fashioned' foto's ('restore' them) in their (same) files under Documents. Together they contain some 12000 photos.

I use TimeMachine which backs up 'hourly'. And on wednesdays I use a second TimeMachine for one backup.

To: Lufbrarunner:

Yes, thanks, I will try that using a few test photo's. For downloading pictures from my Lumix camera to my Mac I use an USB connection between them, and in a few minutes all of them are stored on photos.library without interruption. Good ones and bad ones.

Thanks again, Dirk

Ask a Question