[SOLVED] Cannot Remove Icon From Menu Bar

Reaction score
I'm new here, and I apologize if the problem seems like a no-brainer, but I am stumped and in need of assistance. Don't worry, there's more to the problem than just "halp i dont no how a manu bar werks!"! (Although not by much.) I've done some non-threatening, yet still pretty stupid things to my laptop, and I would like to reverse these actions.

I installed Memeo LifeAgent onto my Macbook after purchasing an external hard drive and having the program pop out at me after I plugged the drive into my laptop. After realizing that Time Machine would have done everything that this program would have done, anyway (and more efficiently, to boot), I deleted the program from the laptop and cleared the hard drive for Time Machine consumption.

However, that not only eliminated the only software I had for LifeAgent, but it also left the icon in the menu bar. Since this is a third-party program/application, I can't simply use the "Hit Command, drag off menu bar" approach. Since I purged the hard drive that the LifeAgent came on, it's impossible for me to re-install it without finding a new copy of it, so I can't so the, "re-install, play with preferences, un-install when icon is gone" route without jumping through some major hoops (which, frankly, I want to avoid; I don't want to have to either buy a new copy of Memeo LifeAgent or have to go the way of the pirate just to get rid of an icon). I've used the Activity Monitor to get rid of the icon, but it's only a temporary solution; the LifeAgent icon pops right back up onto the menu bar after I restart the computer.

Any suggestions/applications that can help? Can this be fixed, or will this forever be an embarrassing message: "Think before you install free software!"?

Mac Specs: Mac OSX Version 10.5.4 / 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor / 2GB memory

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Re: Cannot Remove Icon From Menu Bar

Hi Inspector Dim!

When you notice the icon in the menu bar, and I presume you mean the far right section ... it has its own name but I digress ... when you see the icon appear, launch Activity Monitor and search through "All Processes" (select this from the pull-down menu) for anything with LifeAgent in it's name and "Force Quit" it. This should have the effect of removing the status icon. If this works then using Spotlight, try searching your Hard Drive for anything containing LifeAgent along with the name of the process that you may/may not have noticed in Activity Monitor.

When this rogue icon is visible, do you have any external HD's attached?

Hope this helps :)

Reaction score

Since I've never used this particular app before, the following is complete guesswork, but might hopefully) help.

First shot is to go to System Preferences > Accounts. Select your account and click on "Login Items" -- see if there is a reference to the app there, and if so, remove it from your startup items. Even if that works (and especially if it doesn't), try searching using spotlight for the terms "memeo" or "lifeagent" (in separate searches). This may well reveal preference files you've missed in your culling. Rename or remove them and reboot.

EDIT: I really should read the entire thread, shouldn't I??!!! Sorry to Spawn Dooley who is steps ahead of me. I might just add to the above response that a search for the company name (memeo) is also worthwhile, as that sometimes reveals files the app name might not (sometimes, e.g. if the app name has been abbreviated in the filename).

Good luck

J

Reaction score

Spawn_Dooley Thanks so very much!
Been crawling the web for days trying to find a solution and after this post it all seems so simple. Really appreciate the advice about the activity Monitor.
Thanks a million!

Reaction score

Spawn_Dooley Thank you! I echo same comment as dimidius. I uninstalled VMware Fusion but could not get the icon out of the Menu Bar. I have been searching for days. This worked perfectly!

Reaction score

I have a very similar problem. I tested a trial version of Virus Barrier X6, after which I tried to uninstall it. Not being able to see any uninstall button, I proceeded to manually delete the files. Now I still have a byte readout, which used to show incoming and outgoing bytes per second. Now it doesn't show any byte information, but when i quit the process in Activity Monitor, it only stays off the bar for about one second, before restarting. If someone could give me a few ideas, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score

Sometimes when you install a 3rd Party app there is an uninstall option which is only available if you launch the original Installer.dmg ... or .zip ... Do you still have the original installer? If so, run it again, looking for the uninstaller OR you may have to redownload it

Reaction score

Thanks so much! That solved my problem. Now I'll remember for next time I have a problem like that.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score

I do it all the time ... but I learnt to check for an uninstaller whilst doing the installation thing.

Glad that you got it sorted. :)

Ask a Question