Smart folders in the dock

Reaction score
Hello. I have a problem regarding using smart folders or tags in the dock. I wonder, if this is a general problem or if I do something wrong.

I wanted to create a smart folder for recently used apps respectively documents. I thought it would be a quick way to access apps and files I'm currently using. The smart folders work the way they should. I can also put them in the dock to create a stack. However, whenever I restart the computer the stack shows an empty drawer icon, while the corresponding smart folder in the sidebar of the finder keeps working correctly. By dragging it on the dock again I can create a new stack, that works (while the existing version of the folder remains empty). The problem is the same with the tags.

Is it possible to keep a smart folder in the dock? Thanks.

(OS X 10.10.2 - iMac early 08)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I too have a recent apps/docs folder in my Dock but I didn't follow your steps in creating it and after a reboot the recent apps aren't purged.

Copy/paste the following into Terminal then press Return:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{ "tile-data" = { "list-type" = 1; }; "tile-type" = "recents-tile"; }'

Copy/paste the following into Terminal then press Return:

Code:
killall Dock

When the Dock reappears type Exit then quit Terminal.

The Stack will appear just next to the Trash icon. If you ever want to remove the Stack just right-click then "Remove from Dock".

You can choose recent Apps, recent Docs, recent Servers, favourite Volumes & favourite Items.

Reaction score
Thanks. That at least does the trick for recent apps.

Still would be useful to use smart folders in the dock across the board. Considered using stacks for tags, too.

What I also found out by doing this: After restarting the dock the smart folders in the dock also work. Sure not the most practical solution to manually restart the dock every time, still better than recreating all the folders though.

Ask a Question