reinstall OS X mavericks online.

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a macbook pro running OS X mavericks 10.9.2. I purchased it before 4 months. Well, I'm a newbie on mac computers.

I have some problems with the most pre-installed apps of my mac. They don't open! They appeared for a second in dock and then, they disappear. The console app says : "unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting".

So, I want to have these apps back again. (some of them are very useful to me, as calendar, iMessage FaceTime, maps etc etc)

I don't have any backup (from time machine or other app).

So, I have seen from here (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14193) that if I want to reinstall these apps (such as quicktime,FaceTime, iMessage mail or calendar) I have to reinstall mavericks.

I'm posting for a few questions I have, because I'm a little bit of afraid to do a reinstallation.

1.Is this online re-installation works fine?
2. Is the re-installation "formats" my Macintosh HD?
3. Am I gonna lose my third party applications? (e.g. adobe photoshop or VLC or Skype or Ableton Live) ?
4. In the support of apple for the reinstallation it says : "Use the built-in recovery disk to reinstall OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact". Is this means that I will have exactly the same third-party apps and settings like I have it right now?
and how can I use the built-in recovery disk? where is it?

Thank you in advance...

Reaction score
1.Is this online re-installation works fine?
Yes, if you have a good strong internet connection.
2. Is the re-installation "formats" my Macintosh HD?
Only if you choose that option.
3. Am I gonna lose my third party applications? (e.g. adobe photoshop or VLC or Skype or Ableton Live) ?
Only if you choose that option.
4. In the support of apple for the reinstallation it says : "Use the built-in recovery disk to reinstall OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact". Is this means that I will have exactly the same third-party apps and settings like I have it right now?
Yes

Restart your Mac while holding down the "R" or Option key and choose it manually .

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply!

Well, the only thing I want is to run the pre-installed apps that comes with my mac.
So, as you tell me the steps I must follow is :

No format macHD - No lose of any third-party app - and recover disk for re-install.

Am I right? Is it important to make a recovery disk to keep all my files and third-party apps?
The recovery disk it can be a usb flash drive?

Thank you again

Reaction score
No there is no "recovery disk" as its all far to large.
the Recovery Partition should already be there on your drive, why try and make another?

You should use a TimeCapsule or External Drive and TimeMachine which is built into OSX. Then you would'nt have this problem at all...

Reaction score
Ok my friend!
I made the re-instalation and all works perfectly.
No recovery disk made and nothing from my apps, files and settings is lost.

Now, I should start time machine. ;-)

Thank you for your help.

Ask a Question